Chapter 18.

After a very awkward few minutes of getting out of going to church through the window, we're back out in the cold and no one else is in the vicinity.

"You didn't ride with the Beets?" I question, watching as Jace lifts himself through the window by himself. I wish I had that strength.

He looks up at me, making me feel stupid. "Obviously."

I sigh and dust off my dress, feeling the silence settle between us. Jace closes the window again and stands up, looking at me.

"Ever been on a motorcycle?" He asks, seriously. Every good feeling in my body drains and I look at him with a glare.

"You didn't," I try to convince myself. I am not getting on the back of his stupid motorcycle. I'm not ready to die even though it feels like half of me already is.

"Sorry to break it to you, baby," he holds up his key. "But I did."

I narrow my eyes at him, but before I can say anything he beats me to it.

"You can either get that fit ass of yours on the back of my bike, or you can go back into that church and sit through an hour of a man talking while Eric is right beside you," he contradicts me. I don't like how he made a comment about my butt, but that's an argument for another day.

There's no way I'm going back in the church, I'm too far into the plan now.

"Do you have a helmet?" I ask the basic question and Jace chuckles.

"Follow me and find out." He walks past me, looking down at me as he does so. I wait a second, trying to gather my nerves before, I too, follow him.

The monstrosity of a motorcycle comes into view and I nearly faint. I'm going to die. There's no question about it. That thing can't possible protect us both in the least.

"You're crazy," I scoff, already freezing. "It's below thirty- two degrees out here, and you expect me to get on that."

"I rode it here, didn't I?" He sarcastically asks me, holding up the helmet. At least he has that much. "Or like I said, you can go back-"

"Give me the stupid helmet," I demand and hold out my hand. He smirks and gives it to me.

"That the only coat you have?" He asks, eyeing the brown trench coat that covers my body.

I raise an eyebrow. "Is there a problem?"

He snorts and slides the leather jacket, on his shoulder, off.

"What are you doing?" I panic. Yeah, he has on a grey hoodie underneath, but the gesture seems wrong.

"Giving you protection," he states, bored. "Put it on."

I look down at the coat in his hands, and take it. I don't look at him as I put it on, but when I finally do, he's already looking at me. Something in his eyes makes me tingle all over my body and shiver - not from the cold. The look he has, it's the same one he had yesterday. Lord have mercy.

He clears his throat and breaks the trance. He swings his leg over his bike and calls over his shoulder, "Getting on?"

I take a deep breath and get on the bike. I'm short though and swinging my leg over isn't as graceful as when he did it. I make sure my dress is tucked under my bottom so it doesn't fly up before I wrap my arms around Jace's torso.