Chapter 45.

"Personally," Candice inputs while we all discuss plans for tonight. "I think we should just stay in tonight. The three of us."

I like that idea more than they'll ever know. "I'm down for whatever."

But I would really like to stay in tonight.

"Me too," Bray agrees and nudges my shoulder. I send her a soft smile. "We can watch all of the Nicholas Sparks movies known to man and pig out on junk food."

I snort and I nod. "That sounds even better."

Candice excitedly claps her hands and calls it a plan. I laugh at her enthusiasm and my eyes connect with Jace's from across the cafeteria. He's sitting with his little friend group - Damon being one of them, and just...staring at me. The connection of his eyes to mine makes me heat up, so much that I have to look away. He makes me happier than anyone else I'm acquainted with, but I know that we're still keeping secrets from each other.

He doesn't tell me where he is when he disappears for hours at a time and I've yet to inform him of my meet up with Eric. It surprises me that my ex hasn't taken the chance to do it himself considering they live together currently, though I don't mind. I'd rather do it.

On that note, Eric uses every divide in Jace and I's contact to stare at me. He doesn't try to talk, but his eyes on me is enough to want to run away and hide.

•••

Jace West: what are you doing tonight?

I can't help that my heart stutters at his question, and at the fact that he even texted me on this Friday night. Though, my mood shifts when I realize I have plans with Braylee and Candice.

Me: going to braylees why?

He responds I'm a seconds time.

Jace West: just wondering

I frown and go to type again, but another text is incoming before I can.

Jace West: I'm going to be busy tonight with some stuff I'll call you after okay?

Even though I don't like that he's going to be busy tonight with unknown things, I do appreciate the communication. At least he's making an effort I suppose.

Me: thank you for the heads up :)

Jace West: ;) I would say leave your window open tonight but seems we'll have to rain check

I bite my lip and send back a sorry with a smirking face before grabbing my car keys and heading downstairs. It's nearly six o'clock and I'm supposed to be at Braylee's to have a girls night. I'm actually super hyped for it. Like old times.

"I'm spending the night at Braylee's," I tell my mom and father who were about to make out on top of the counter top if I hadn't walked in. I cringe.

My mom frantically scrambles out of my fathers hold and tries to smooth down her messy hair. I raise an eyebrow at her and she smiles nervously.

"Wait," she says and takes a step closer to me. "Your dad and I need to talk to you for a second."

"Okay..." I draw out and adjust the bag on my shoulder. "What about?"