Chapter 20.

The house hasn't changed - shocking - since the last time I was here, but the energy has

The house hasn't changed - shocking - since the last time I was here, but the energy has. Eric isn't here, nor his parents, only Jace and me leaving the place quiet and weird feeling. I don't like it.

"Are you coming?" Jace's voice invades my tornado of emotions. I'm still standing in the entry way while Jace is already on the landing of the stairs. It makes me sad being here without Eric, because he ruined it, but also angry because I should be here with him. He shouldn't have done what he did.

"Yeah," I answer, feeling angry at the man all over again. It makes me vengeful, but I don't know if I could ever hurt him the way he hurt me. It's just not who I am.

I follow Jace up the stairs, passed Eric's room - I stare at his door longer than necessary - and finally to Jace's temporary living quarters. It's different than Eric's. Where as my boyfriends room is clean, neat and full of blue, Jace's is slightly dirty - or maybe I'm just too neat - and the walls are white with navy blue bed decor.

You can tell he's been living here, but you can also tell it is only temporary.

I open my mouth to say something, but Jace cuts me off as usual. "I didn't realize I was going to be having anyone over so I didn't clean. Sorry about the mess."

I watch him bend down and pick up a pile of clothes, putting them into - what I assume - a dirty laundry basket. He fixes up his bed spread slightly and then looks at me, cheeks slightly flushed.

I bite my lip to keep from smiling.

"What?" He asks, a bit of hostility in his voice. My smile falls and I shake my head.

"Nothing," I say. He sighs and takes a seat on his bed comfortably. I cringe at the thought of his filthy clothes on his clean sheets. At least I assume they're clean.

"You can sit anywhere you'd like," he offers. I pierce my lips and look around the room. There's a desk chair, and a bean bag chair in the corner. I take the desk chair, I don't want to make myself too comfortable. "So, where'd we leave off?"

I roll my eyes, like he doesn't know. "It's my turn."

He nods and gestures with his hand to continue as he leans on his side, his elbow holding most of his weight up. He stares at me, looking comfortable enough with the way he's laying.

"Have you ever been in love?" I remember Eric telling me that Jace doesn't do relationships, but maybe there's a reason for that. Like possibly getting his heart broken when younger.

I watch him closely, because I have a feeling this question won't be easy for him. He clenches his jaw, looking stoic in thought. I wait for a while, and I don't rush for I want to know the answer and I worry that if I interrupt him he'll only get mad. He's unpredictable like that.

"No," he answers. No emotion is behind his voice, leaving me confused.

"No?" I let out a breathy laugh. "You've never loved a girl-"