Chapter 65.

"Well, why the hell would you say yes?" Damon asks through the phone, no doubt frustrated with my lack of will to say no.

"What was I supposed to say, Damon?" I ask exasperatedly. "He would of known something's up if I said no to meeting his parents."

"We're going to have to figure out how this is going to work now." I can tell by his voice that he's running a hand through his hair. He's stressed, that much is obvious and the majority of this is my fault.

"I'm sorry," I apologize, guilt seeping it's way into my blood stream.

"Don't worry about it, babe," he tells me, but I can't not think about what's going on. It's been plaguing my mind since it happened.

"Is this really going to work, Damon?" I have to ask. It's my inner OCD talking along with my consistent need to worry.

"I'm going to try my damndest to make sure it does," he promises. "You know why?"

"Because Jace will kill you if it doesn't?" I chuckle, twiddling with my comforter seams.

"No," he says and I become confused. "Because if it doesn't, there will be no second chances. Your life is on the line here, Nina. That's why I'm going to make this work if it's the last thing I do."

There's a long stretch of silence between us, mostly because I have no clue what to say. Instead of dwelling over it, I lamely respond, "Okay."

He tells me he'll text me the details and to have fun tonight before we get off the phone. And all the while, I feel as if I've let him down. This was partially my idea - being the bait and all - and now I've basically told him that I agreed to other plans.

Even if I'd rather sit here and go over how unreliable I am, Jace will be picking me up in an hour. I hardly have time to waste considering these are his parents we're talking about. I can't slack on my makeup and clothing choice tonight, first impressions are critical.

•••

"Is this, like, something you would wear?" I ask, frantic now. Then I shake my head as if I'm talking gibberish. "I mean, would this be something you'd wear to meet your boyfriends rich parents?"

"Sweetie," my mom smiles, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. "Your look beautiful. They will see that. And you're sweet, there's no way they will not love you."

I smile softly and pat my mom on the shoulder. "You're just saying that because you're my mother."

She laughs and pecks my cheek. "You look great, honey."

She leaves after that and I stare after her in distress. I don't have enough time to go through another alternative, though, because Jace is already texting me that he's here. I know I look okay - sophisticated and classy - but the anxiety of meeting Jace's parents is getting to me.

With Eric, this never happened because I had already known his family when we officially started dating. Stuff like this didn't occurs to me, but I need to come to terms with the fact that this whole thing is new. A clean slate.

There's a quick goodbye exchange between my parents and I when I'm heading out of the door to await my fate.

Jace smiles at me when I enter his vehicle, even then though, I can sense his unease of the situation. He told me once that he's not that close to his parents, so maybe that is the reason for his nervousness.

"You look beautiful," he grins, pressing a kiss to the back of the hand. I blush under the scrutiny of the tiny gesture.

"Thank you." I look over his choice in clothing and I must say - he makes it hard not to jump him. A white button down shirt is over his torso, the first two buttons undone and the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. This way, his tattoos and tan skin are shown off. And a pair of dark blue jeans match the shirt perfectly. "You look..."