Chapter 22.

"So you were with Jace," Eric nods and I feel the knot in my stomach grow. "Where?"

"Coney Island," I answer easily, leaving out the part where we went to his house. That would lead to even more questions that I don't think I'm ready to answer. "We went out to breakfast."

"And you skipped church?" He scoffs which leaves me hoping he doesn't see through any of my lies or mistruths. Technically I'm not lying, just withholding information. "To go to breakfast with Jace? I hadn't realized you guys were that good of friends."

More than you will ever know.

"We aren't," I say rather quickly. I need to calm down before he thinks something is going on between Jace and I. Is there? "I mean, it was just a one time thing."

Eric furrows his eyebrows and I desperately want to smooth out the lines because he looks so stressed. And it's because of me.

My subconscious disagrees with my view towards him, but I push her away. I've already decided what I want. No more rendezvous with Jace, and no running from my problems.

"I don't know how I feel about you hanging out with him, Nina," he runs a hand through his hair.

"Why?" I ask, my defense coming up. Oh god. I really need to slow down, why am I even feeling this way about Jace? He's been mean to me from day one and yet here I am ready to pounce at his defense.

"Because he's not like us," he states like his reason is obvious. I guess it kind of is. "He's involved with some bad things and I don't want you to get into that."

I swallow. I remember him telling me about the "bad things" that Jace was involved in and I can't believe I forgot. His lips on mine distracted me from everything, even a huge piece of information like that.

"Not everyone is like us, Eric," I tell him, trying not to let my anger get the best of me. Jace doesn't deserve what I'm doing, but I can't help but defend him. When I was with him he never brought up his other activities, which was kind of him and it's only right that I give him some credit.

"Why are you so quick to jump to his side?" He looks completely baffled and I open my mouth to speak, but nothing comes out. "You seemed to hate him last time I checked."

"I just understand him a little more," I excuse myself. "He doesn't seem all that bad."

"Nina-"

"Can we stop talking about him." One more word and I may change my mind on what I'm getting myself into. "I'm sorry that you were worried about me, but I'm exhausted."

I can tell he wants to say something else, but he doesn't and I take a seat on my bed. He looks at me, not taking his eyes off.

"I don't want you hanging out with him anymore." I snap my eyes to meet his, my body singing with anger.

"Eric, I don't want-"

"I'm not kidding, Nina," his voice is hard and stern. I flinch slightly in shock. He's never used this tone with me before. "You have to promise me that you won't be alone with him anymore."

"Where is this coming from?" I question, in complete and utter astonishment. We don't demand each other around, yet here he is doing just that. I don't like it one bit. "I thought he was your friend?"

Eric runs a frustrated hand through his hair again. "He is, which means I know how he is. He's a bad influence, Nina, and I don't want you being alone with him. Or around him at all, really."

I can't wrap my head around the fact that this is actually happening. Eric is actually forbidding me from seeing Jace at all. Does he know what we've done? No. That's impossible. Unless Jace told him, but would he do that?