Prologue: Lunar Child

[Present]

"Kiddo," Mama says, glancing back at me as we drive across the countryside to visit my uncle and his family. "Feeling well?"

"I'm fine," I say, glancing at the cows chewing on grass. Their mouths move up and down, as if savoring every single bite.

"You still mad at me for what I said about Tetsuya?" Papa asks.

I lean my head against the window. A moment of silence hangs over us like a dark blanket.

"Listen, Ashi."

My eyes remain on the verdant fields of grass as my hands grasp my black rosary with a moon in the center. Daddy had given it to me when I was born. I sit up and narrow my eyes. Actually, it looks similar to the description of Tetsuya's rosary.

"Papa. Why did you call me Ashi?" I ask.

Daddy stops the car and glances back. "Why do you ask that now?"

"Also, this rosary... It's the rosary of the Angel of Darkness, our ancestor. Why were you in its possession? Papa, what's your connection with the Knight of the Shield? In the picture book you made, there was a moment in which Tetsu said he wanted to name his kid Ashi."

Papa returns his focus to the dirt road and drives on. "No reason. Ashi was a nice name. And that rosary... it's a replica."

I narrow my eyes some more. "Really? Papa?"

He snickers. "What? Did you have delusions of being the chosen one?"

My face warms. "I... do not! I rather not be."

"Hmm?" he asks.

My hands clasped the rosary tighter. "I like my simple life. If I were to be the reincarnation of Hanketsu, then my life will be filled with hardship."

Papa nods. "And you should. Kiddo, don't you dare dream of being a hero. Don't fall for the same illusions of grandeur that so many before you have."

I gasp. "You mean like Tetsu? But his dream was only to protect Rosa and everyone else and be known as a great knight like his own papa."

His golden eyes widen a little. "You sure? Don't you think that he at least had a bit of otherworldly desires?"

"I don't think so, not based on what I've heard." My eyes shift toward Mama. "Hey, can you tell me the second part, Mama? We won't arrive at Keiko's home for a while."

Mama glances at Papa.

Daddy sighs and nods. "Alright. Tell the kid the rest of the story so he can finally stop nagging."

"Yay!" I yell, swinging my hands up.

"Yay!" Erika and my other siblings yell.

"Not you guys too," Papa says, sighing.

A smile dots my face. "How about Papa tells it this time?"

He lifts his hands from the driver's wheel momentarily. "Uh, kind of driving here."

I pout. "Come on!"

"You know, you're a lot like Hideo."

I bit my mouth. "Not him. He's one of my least favorite. Hmm, well maybe the middle one as Hyo and Eiichi are mean to Tetsu too. Well, only two that I really like are Tetsuya and Setsuko."

A chuckle echos across the car. "Really? I can hardly blame you," Papa says. "They are the better ones out of the five. But even those two weren't without their faults... Fine. I'll tell you the story."

"Yahoo!" Erika says. "Papa is going to tell us a story!"

"Yahoo!" the rest of us say.

I give him all of my undivided attention.

"Before I do. Where did you leave off?"

"Tetsuya and Rosa had passed out," I respond, smiling.

Papa's eyes dim. "Right. Though, be wary. What I'm about to say isn't something kids your age would normally hear." He clears his throat. "Alright... let's begin."

**Solar Note: Hope that you enjoyed reading this chapter :D! The next chapters will be out shortly after I do some editing (got a whole stack of them xD). I've dedicated this chapter to my biggest fan, ShinomiyaDR ^_^!**

*Character Section*

Ashi Kuroriku- Sex: Male Age: 10 Birthday: August 15, 2197 A

Ashi Kuroriku- Sex: Male Age: 10 Birthday: August 15, 2197 A.D.