Episode 32: Shadow of Justice

We followed the man who claimed to be my deceased father through the frosty terrain

We followed the man who claimed to be my deceased father through the frosty terrain. The man acted as if he knew exactly where we were. However, there was nothing but white for miles and miles. One could barely tell if we were making progress or walking around in circles. I couldn't help but feel my heart sink with each second that passed.

"She'll be fine," Rosalba assured, tapping my shoulder.

I smiled a bit. My old-self wanted to believe that we could go back to the way we were when we first met. But at the same time, that prospective seemed dim. It would never go back to the way it was, at least not fully.

The snow made the princess' blush look even redder. It was rather cute.

"Thanks," I said, ignoring my cynical side.

Ha... walking together like this brings back memories. If only it were possible to go back to those days. Those days we spent in Kuroyuki, walking through the cold and watching the snowflakes fall around us. Is she also thinking of that time?

I glanced over at Rosalba. She fiddled around with a ruby bead bracelet as she avoided looking me directly in the eyes. I recognized that face, it was the look of guilt.

Rosalba raised her arm. "Looking at this?"

I felt my face warm as I remembered our battle against Satoru. It was a hard fight, but in hindsight it was a nice memory. After all, it was that battle which made me stop denying my feeling for her.

"I can't use Caelio any more," she said. "Well, transform it."

I stared at my shield. Was Agnes returning to its base form tied to it?

"Guess it was due to the heat of battle," I said, staring at Yuko. Luckily she was still holding on. I looked up and watched as the Kuroyuki no San brothers pushed the snow aside to speed up our pace. It was a good thing that they were doing that as there were enormous snow dunes around the place.

Tiny lizard like creatures glanced around at the cleared rock and ran upon seeing us. They dug deep into the snow with their tiny claws until they were well beyond sight.

Were those things just now dragons? They're so tiny... Must be babies.

I turned my eyes back toward Rosalba. Her golden-brown eyes were focused on the falling snow. The stuff glittered in the limited sunlight that managed to break past the light gray clouds.

"Caelio hadn't been transformed since her mom died, except for that battle against the Abyssmals," Kuroshi said, a sad look on his face.

"I've been meaning to ask you," I said, picking up my pace. "What exactly is your relationship with the king?"

He shrugged. "I'm not sure, as you likely already heard, we were love rivals for Sofia. It was began before I met your Ma. Well, Anis was also involved in it soon after we met. I guess once could call it a love square," he answered as if he had read my mind. "Actually, that's likely why Osamu had you signaled out as the rapist over the other guys in the castle."