Episode 28: Dawn to a New Future

I opened my eyes and saw Setsuko wasn't there

I opened my eyes and saw Setsuko wasn't there. I turned to look at Yuko and Ximena's bed. Those two were still asleep. I was glad that they were. While I did want space, I was also afraid of being left alone. It was strange. Like I didn't know what was better or worse... to be alone or to be around others.

I pushed myself out of my bed and changed into a pair of jeans and a frilly dress shirt.

"Rosa?" Yuko called out, rubbing her beady eyes. "Where are you off to?"

"I was going to look for Setty, but considering I don't know this place... Uh..."

Ximena chuckled. "You'll end up lost like when we met if you do."

I snickered as I thought back to that time. Even though I was lost then, I wish I could go back to that time. Though I do wonder what I would do if I had the chance. Would I allow Tetsu to show me around and have events unfold like they have now? Or would I have avoided him all together? Saving the two of us from our current problems in the process.

But if I did that... would I still be alive? I might've lost my life to those rebels in the cavern in Makkuroyama. Though perhaps that would've been better...

"Princess is sad?" Yuko asked, tilting her head at me as she got up.

I averted my gaze. "Just reminiscing."

"Of how you met Yuko's master?"

I lowered my head and hugged myself. "Y-yes."

Yuko opened her mouth to say something but the door suddenly swung open. It was my sister. In her hands were brown bags. "Hey!" she called out. "You're all up early. It's not barely six."

"You're one to talk," Ximena said, scoffing.

Sister laughed. "Oh, this is my usual time to wake up. But for Rosa here it is awfully early. She usually wakes up at ten."

I puffed my cheeks. "Hey, I woke up early during training!"

"Oh right, I forgot about that."

"So, what's in the bags? Food?" Ximena asked.

"Yeah, I got us some yogurts and flaxseed."

"Flaxseed?" Yuko said, mouth wide. "Isn't that for birds?"

Setsuko shook her head. "No. We can eat them too. You should try some, it's good for you."

"Woah?" Yuko said, running up to my sister. "Really? Yuko needs to be healthier. Yuko doesn't want to faint again and worry Master."

Did I worry Tetsu too by fainting? I keep burdening him even though I had resolved myself not to do so anymore. Even though I had built distance between us yet again...

"Hey, sis. Can we go do some sight-seeing?" I blurted out as I formed an ice crystal in my hand. I shaped the ice into a miniature version of bear-woof, which caused Yuko's eyes to glimmer.