Episode 84: Fear and Pain

I took out the prana pill out of the cauldron and made my way over to the sleeping Hideo

I took out the prana pill out of the cauldron and made my way over to the sleeping Hideo. His resting face made him look younger than he already was.

"Let him rest," Zydeco said as Hideo slumbered peacefully against his shoulder.

I sighed and put the golden oval into my hyper-ring along with the cauldron I had taken it out of.

I ruffled my hair and looked up at the now bright blue sky. "Seems I did all that for nothing."

"Well, you could always give it to him at a later time," Zydeco suggested, smiling. He tilted his head at me. "Say, why are you concerned about him? No offense, but I get the sense that you aren't exactly friends."

I nodded. "Yeah, we're not friends or anything along those lines. But he is my fellow knight."

"Hmm, I doubt that's it." He crossed his legs together and grinned. "Let me guess, you want to be friends with him?"

I scoffed. "Why would I want to be friends with a weakling like him?" I said, looking away.

Zydeco chuckled. "Your denial just makes it more obvious that you do."

I rolled my eyes. "What would you know? You barely know me."

"That's true, but I can see it reflected in your eyes." His smile vanished. "There's a deep sadness in them. A sense of loneliness."

I closed my eyes and turned around.

"You're leaving already?"

"I'm out of here. I don't need to continue to hear a lowly plebeian's bad attempt to psychoanalyze me."

"Sorry. I didn't want to upset you. I was just stating what I've noticed, nothing more. I could be wrong or perhaps, the opposite."

I glanced over my shoulder and saw him picking up Hideo. "Well, I better get going too. I did promise the girls that I would catch up." With Hideo in his arms, he ran into the surrounding forest and vanished from view.

I chuckled. "Friends, huh?" I looked at the charred grass behind me. The closest thing to one I've had was Borasco. It was a good thing that he was safe...

"That boy was right, wasn't he?" a woman's voice called out. I looked forward and saw Sabine emerge from the forest.

"Wait, didn't you go with Yebin?" I asked, eyes wide.

"I told her to go on, that I had forgotten something."

I put a hand on my hip and smiled. "Did she ask what?"

"Not really, but I really did leave something behind."

I glanced leftward. "What is it? I'll go retrieve it for you."

She snickered. "It's not a thing."

"If it's not a thing then it's a creature? I didn't see you with any forest animals or pets."