Episode 83: Golden Pill

Sabine huffed as she reclined her back against a large tree

"Catch your breath and head back to the campsite," I said, crouching down next to her and handing her a canteen full with water.

"Lunch is ready," said the second member of my team. She was a tall girl with pitch black hair and ruby red eyes. She didn't really say much at all.

"Thanks, Yebin. We'll be there in a few," Sabine said.

Yebin nodded and turned around and flew off, carried by her lilac dragon wings. It seemed that just like Ryonoko's father, she was related to a tribe of dragons capable of taking on a humanoid form.

"Go on without me," I said, walking into the forest. "I want to do some more training."

"You're going to tire yourself out before the match has even started," Sabine said, knitting her brows together.

I scoffed. "That peasant won't defeat me, even if I were to be exhausted. Now, go."

Sabine narrowed her eyes at me. "Fine, I'll go. However, don't come crying to me if you lose!"

I chuckled. "As if that'll happen." I took another step toward the forest and turned around at the sound of wings flapping in the air. Her wings were a brilliant yellow like the light from the sun. Looking at her, I couldn't help but feel as if we were from different worlds.

I shook my head. I should push her away. I am not worthy of her. I looked down at my hands and saw the hands of a demon. I had fallen... if she sought to follow me then she would too.

Sighing, I continued going deeper into the forest.

"Food is ready!" I heard a voice called out. It was Zyuuni, but his words weren't directed at me. I ran further into the forest and saw another clearing. Lying on the grassy floor was Hideo while his teammates stood around.

"Let's call it a break," Koukyuu said, waving at the short and lanky kid.

Hideo raised his head and grunted as he tried to push himself off of the ground. "N-no. I have to get... stronger," he said. His arms wobbled as he raised himself up. "F-for Dan's sake. If I... couldn't... defeat Satoru, Roa, nor the peasant, then how... how can I defeat the stronger abyssmals?"

"He's one of them?" Sonata asked, gasping.

"Yes, he... is. Teke...shi is one," Hideo said.

"That explains his regenerative abilities," Zydeco said, rubbing his chin.

Koukyuu suddenly turned her head toward where I was hiding. "Hey, you there, come out!" she shouted, narrowing her eyes at the tree surrounded by dense bushes that I was hiding behind.

I walked out and smiled. "Hey, beautiful!"

"Ugh, it's the playboy," Sonata said, glaring at me.