Episode 27: Secrets

Sitting down with Yuko, we finished the octopus balls

Sitting down with Yuko, we finished the octopus balls. Eating beside her felt like dining with family. Though the food was different. Very different. The octopus was oddly chewy, but at the very least it got that man who claimed to be my father out of my mind.

"Done?" Serrano asked, snapping me back to reality. He watched us with careful eyes, as if he were a prison guard. He had finished his food before us. "We need to meet up with the others."

"Lighten up," Kohri said as he finished his own plateful.

"Lighten up? We're not here to play games or pig out!" he said, shaking his head. "We're only staying here to analyze the fighting styles of these mages in the hopes that the five will learn some magic. Now hurry up and finish or they'll think that something bad happened to us."

Kohri rolled his eyes. "You're as uptight as always. One would have thought that almost dying would make you appreciate life a little more."

Serrano narrowed his eyes. "And you're too carefree, despite being a knight."

"I'm not a knight anymore," Kohri said, his icy blue eyes on the empty container. "I am here as Tetsuya's blacksmith and soldier. Remember, I gave up on being a knight long ago. The only reason I joined was to keep an eye on Hyo."

"You should stop saying that. That title is ours from the day we take the oath up to the day we die. You should be aware of that, considering your predecessor."

What about his status as one of the Seven? My dad is still alive.

"I am not worthy of being Dad's heir," Kohri said as he closed the foam container. He stood up and threw it into the recycle bin. He turned toward his fellow Seven-Hill knight and walked past him as if they weren't talking a moment ago.

"What's his problem?" I questioned, tilting my head.

What came upon him to make him act like this? He's usually positive.

My cousin sighed. "You should ask him yourself, but I doubt that he'll tell you why he thinks the way he does."

I didn't doubt him, considering the way that Kohri avoided his question. Serrano also avoided my dad's question back at the hill.

"Hey, Serrano. What are you hiding?" I asked, tilting my head toward the right.

Serrano lowered his eyes toward my green armor. "Kohri should never have given you that armor." With those words he left, running off like some coward.

Perhaps this was my chance to get payback on that jerk. Still, I felt bad for teasing him. I chuckled. Since when had I started to care for others again? Especially that guy...

Alright, maybe I did care a bit when we thought him dead...

I glanced back at Yuko. Right, it all began with her. Or did it? Perhaps I never truly stopped caring.