Episode 66: Pain and Hope

[Meanwhile outside the Palace]

I stared at my phone as I walked north of the palace.

"Where are we going?" Ximena asked.

"Not waiting for Master and the others to return?" Yuko asked as she kept pace with me.

I came to a stop and looked toward my left and saw several gravestones with golden plaques on them. Engraved into them were names and words which their loved ones wished for them to be remembered by.

Nori lowered his head as soon as he saw them. He crossed his hands together and whispered a prayer.

I curled my fingers around the cold black metal bars of the fence surrounding the graveyard. My silver eyes scanned the area for the emblem of two spears and a lion. I gasped as a woman dressed in black made her way to one of the nearby graves. Following her were three children, two boys and one girl. The youngest one seemed to be around the same age as Tetsu was when I met him.

"Mommy, why did daddy have to die?" he asked, sniffling.

The purple haired woman caressed the child's face. "He gave up life for us, so that we could continue to live."

"Why?" he asked, looking up at her. "Why did he have to do that."

I pressed my forehead against the bars. It was my fault... Staring at the child, I knew he was Zane's. Zane was one of the ones who lost his life in the abyss. Roa had killed him, stabbing him though the heart with his sword. It was an attack meant for me. I should've been the one buried there right now, not Zane.

"Serra," Xime said, putting a hand on my back. She pressed her head against my shoulder and didn't say another word.

"Why, why am I unable to save anyone?" I cried out. "I couldn't save Dan, nor Zeke and the others, not even my own brother. What's the point of having this power, when I can't rescue anyone?"

"Mister," Yuko said, looking up at me with her large brown eyes. The way she looked at me reminded me of Piedad. Piedad...

Kohri lowered his head. "Yeah... but doesn't that mean that we simply need to get stronger? Strong enough to protect those we care for?" He chuckled weakly. "Perhaps Hyo had a point, power is important."

"I came all the way here just to find you crying," a voice called out. I looked up and saw Tetsu and the others.

"Master!" Yuko said, running up to Tetsu. "Cheer up, Mister Serra."

Tetsuya sighed. "Why should I? Let him cry to his heart's content." I glanced over at the graveyard. He furrowed his brow as soon as he saw the three children and their mother placing a wreath of flowers of Zane's tomb. "Sometimes crying is all one can do...to relieve the pain within."

My hands quivered as my breathing grew heavy.

"Serra, calm down," Setty yelled, running over to me. She suddenly wrapped her arms around my waist. "You're going to faint again. Take it easy. I know it's hard, but you have to surpass it. Do it for them, for the kids. Don't let their father's sacrifice be in vain."