Episode 48: The White Rabbit

"Hey, Setty," I called out as we walked toward the lobby

"Hmm?" she asked, turning around. We were behind everyone else, but I didn't mind that. In some ways, I appreciated it. It made it easier to ask her what I was about to.

My hands trembled. "Were... were our teammates given funerals?"

Setsuko lowered her gaze. "Of course they were. I only wished that we had retrieved their bones, though many were unaccounted for. The lower abyssmals devoured almost all there was of them. The remnants we did encounter on the way to saving you is likely gone by now. As for the survivors, a lot of them are currently undergoing therapy. Both physical and psychological."

I clenched my fists so tightly that blood began to drip out as my nails dug into my skin. It was all my fault. I was one of the Seven Hills, the 'strongest of our generation', yet I was unable to defend them against Reno, Satoru, Roa, and Man-kin. More so Satoru who had harmed and killed the most. If I had managed to kill him back then than Dan and they could possibly be alive.

Dan and his older sister, if I had more power then I could've stopped Mei and Reno. No matter how one sliced it, I was ultimately responsible. In a way I was even responsible for Tetsu's temporary death. Had I not sent him into a coma the night before I set out to the abyss, then Setsuko would've accompanied us to the abyss. Perhaps Tetsu, Kohri, and Yuko would've too. Then we surely would've defeated Satoru and company. Maybe we could've even rescued Dan.

I looked up as I felt a hand on my shoulder. Setsuko gave me a solemn smile. "I know what you're thinking and don't even try to deny it like you usually do." She let go of me and averted her gaze. "Don't do this to yourself, Serra. It wasn't your fault."

It was, it was my fault. Just like how it was my fault that my little brother died. I was unable to stand up for him, to save him from that prison of a home. I... I should've taken him with me, then he would've surely lived!

Setty sighed. "Serra, you shouldn't blame yourself for everything bad that happens. I know that you carry the full weight of your position as a Seven-Hill, but please, let me help..." Her voice, I could barely hear it. It felt distant. It was as if she were moving farther and farther from me.

"Set...ty..." I whispered.

She turned around and gasped as I flew past her.

"Serra!" she cried out, her voice suddenly audible once again.

"Serra!" Tetsuya yelled. Last thing I saw was him rushing over toward me with his arms open as if ready to catch me.

"Te...tsu," I whispered before blanking out.

***

*Unknown*

"He's waking up," someone called out. It was a woman's voice.