Episode 69: Emerald Wings

We followed the peasant knight across the overgrown forest

We followed the peasant knight across the overgrown forest. The ground though was surprisingly clear of debris like fallen branches.

Light poured down through the canopy as we continued to go deeper into it. It seemed like a nice place. Very reminiscent of home actually. Home, I was there not too long ago, yet I'm already missing it. Ha, who would've thought that the day would come in which I would miss that boring old place.

"Poor Rosa" Koukyuu whispered as she walked behind me. The scent of jasmine perfume tickled my nostrils. 

I nodded. It was sad what happened to the princess. Would she ever recover from the traumatic experience? 

Koukyuu glanced up and watched as Sonata held Zydeco's arm like a fawning fan.

"You're jealous?" I asked as pine needles cracked below our feet.

Koukyuu snickered as she closed her eyes. "No way. Why would I be jealous?"

"You like him, don't you? That Zydeco guy."

Her face flushed bright red. "No. I don't! In fact, it's the opposite!"

I narrowed my eyes at her. "Uh huh, sure."

She turned her head away from me. "What would a kid like you know about love anyway?"

My left eye twitched. "I already told you, I'm the same age as you, if not older! And..." I sighed. "No, you're right, I don't know a thing about love. I haven't really been in love."

She stared at me, puzzled. "Should you really be sharing this with a stranger?"

My face heated up, so I sped up my pace. "Let's go! We're being left behind by the peasant and the others!"

Koukyuu chuckled and chased after me.

***

We came out of the forest and arrived at a meadow on a hill. Standing on top of the hill were Saya and Anis who had gone on ahead of us. In addition, Tekeshi, Eiji, Eiko, Miyuki, and King Osamu accompanied them.

Kohri's friend froze in place. Her brown eyes were focused on the peasant's father. "Y-you... No... I shouldn't be surprised... Uncle told me..." She hugged herself. "Yet I..."

"Sis," Yuko said, frowning. She took her older sister's shaking hand.

Kohri grabbed her shoulders. "Don't worry. You're safe. He won't hurt you. I'll make sure of it," he whispered into her ear.

Tetsuya narrowed his eyes, not at his father, but at the king himself. "What are you doing here?"

"Dad," Rosa said, eyes wide.

"What are you doing here, father?" Setsuko asked, stepping forward.

"I came to oversee your training of course," he said, putting a hand on his hips. He stared at his youngest. His eyes draped down. "Rosa. Are you alright?"