Episode 19: Light in the Abyss

[Abyssia]

[Abyssia]

Hideo stood in the forefront of the group, looking for any sign of where Serrano or his siblings could be.

"Hey, shouldn't you be in a position better suited for your weapon? Donato is a sniper gun after all, it's meant for stealth," I said, sighing.

Hideo looked around. "I can see better from here. With my 'Eyes of the Hunter', I can see rather far. Though it's all darkness and rubble."

"Ohh, so you do have a plan. Here I thought you were just drifting aimlessly," I said as I ran on to catch up to him.

"Not really a plan," he responded. "Though it's better than to move around blindly."

"What if they aren't in plain sight?" a member of Hyosetsu's group said. He was a plain looking guy, even more so than I.

I stared at the ground. "You mean that they could be hiding underneath these asteroids?"

Hideo tilted his head at the asteroids. "I saw them as islands at first, but the more I look at them, the more I can see the resemblance between this place and space... if space consisted of an oil-like liquid."

I held my hand out. It felt as if a thin gel were moving across the outside of my gloved hand. It felt even thicker on my exposed face. Part of me worried about the effects of being here. Though according to Kuroshi, we Kuroriku could remain in this realm for a day at the most without any ill effects.

Beyond the twenty-four hours, the atmosphere of the realm would start to drive one mad. The number of hours for non-Kuroriku was significantly lower, far more so for those from the Amadeus clan. When I asked my dad what would happen, he said this world would devour their light. How Kuroshi and he knew that, I feared to know.

Though being of both Kuroriku and Amadeus descent, my cousin and I only had around twelve hours to spare. And by now we had burned through seven of those according to our special clocks. Time in this world wasn't like the rest, if it even existed at all, so Kuroshi had ones with the time of the known realms made. With the hours being the time that passed in our home realms since we left.

"Say, why did Eita not come?" Borasco, my cousin, asked.

"He said that King Osamu had a special task for Naoru and him," I responded. Though he hadn't elaborated on what that task was.

"I hate that Naoru guy," Hideo grumbled. "He got in my way of taking down Roa!"

"I doubt you would've been able to do so by yourself," said one of Hideo's female teammates. "If only we were there, then all of us would've been able to stop him."

Borasco grumbled. "It was no fair that you got to see all the action. I only had large gorillas coming after me. Well, and Daisaru, but that guy was too strong."

"The gap between them really was vast. With the power that Daisaru guy had, I can't help but wonder as to why he needed those stupidly weak peons," I said as I jumped on top of a another rock.