Episode 77: Cultivating Fields

I wiped dirt and sweat off of my forehead and smiled as I looked down at our day's work

I wiped dirt and sweat off of my forehead and smiled as I looked down at our day's work. The field was evenly tilled, no large clumps here nor there. Serra had me avoid using my full strength or else I might either break the pickaxe or create large craters.

"You did better than I expected," Serrano said as he leaned against the lone oak tree. His chest went up and down as his breathing slowly returned to normal.

I scoffed. "I've been doing this all my life."

"Yeah, but I would've expected you to have gotten rusty," he said, snickering.

"Like I would. Like I said, I've been doing it all my life. It's practically embedded into my DNA at this point."

He lowered his head and chuckled. "Ahh, so your and Rosa's kids should be expert tillers then."

Suddenly, I felt warmer than when I was actually tilling the soil. "I guess so," I mumbled as I scratched the right side of my face. "Though, I could always end up with Yuko or someone else."

Serra snorted. "Well, perhaps Yuko. But I can't see you with anyone else who isn't Rosa." He turned away. "Except for maybe her sister."

"Setsuko? She's engaged with you," I said as I picked up a juice box lying next to the roots of the tree and sipped it. "Like I would date her."

"Really? What if she wasn't my fiancée?"

I tilted my head. "Hmm, well then maybe. Though I like Rosa better..." My face warmed up once again. "I mean... uh..."

Serrano rose his head and grinned. "No need to deny your feelings for her."

I scratched my head. "I guess I shouldn't. I did confess to her after all."

"You did?" he asked, eyes widening.

"Yeah. S-she kissed me as her response."

He chuckled. "Wow, bet that was one memorable response."

I smiled and nodded. "Yeah..."

"Hey, Tetsu? Why are you speaking normally to me again? Weren't you mad at me a few days ago?" Serrano asked as he stood up.

I pressed the back of my head against the trunk of the oak tree and looked up at the blue sky. "Hmm? I'm... not sure. I guess it's just that the anger I felt toward you just dissipated." I grumbled. "I guess that I still can't stay mad at you for too long."

Serra stepped back and leaned his back against the trunk of the tree. He let out a clamorous chuckle. "I see. Though I probably should be careful."

I chuckled as well. "Yeah, you should."

Serra glanced back at the tilled field and then at the vast expanse of land surrounded by wooden fencing. "Say, if all of this land is yours why haven't you cultivated it?"