Episode 12: Monkey Heir

*Etsuo*

After leaving Serrano to fend for himself, I returned home and made my way to the dojo. As I slid open the door, I heard noises coming from inside. Sliding the door a bit more, I peered inside and saw my dad striking a several bricks mixed with orichalcum with a downward chop. The metal was said to be the strongest in all of Xeleria, the universe where he had spent most of his childhood. 

The bricks exploded in an instant a few seconds after my dad had sliced through them.

Papa looked down at his hands and sighed as more metallic dust rained over him. The dojo was already filled the the stuff. He must've broken several tons. If only I could break a pile. I couldn't even chop through one.

"They should've blown up as soon as my hand touched to first one. It seems that my strength is fading after all," he whispered.

Sliding the door fully, I entered the room. "Fading? Does that mean that the time for your sleep is near?" I questioned. I hadn't told Roa about this yet, but all of the ancient pillars were slowly losing their strength. In order to recover it they would need to go to sleep. How long that rest would be was unknown.

Papa closed his eyes and nodded. "Yeah. I will have to pass the title on to you or you siblings, at least until I reawaken." He walked over to me and allowed his back to slide against the wall toward my right. He put his left over his left knee and leaned his head back. "Let's hope that we'll be able to finish this war. I would hate to leave it to you kids to resolve it."

My glance fell to the black wooden floor. It had been formed from branches of strange tree-like abyssmals which grew in the far-flung northern edge of the island. The branches were as thick as the pines of Zionia's north, with the creature itself being as tall as a skyscraper. Strangely enough they never moved.

"You still think of me as a possible candidate for the Council of Darkness?" I asked.

Pa chuckled. "Of course I do, kiddo. While you may not be as strong as your siblings, you still have traits that would make you a good pick."

"What are those?" I asked as I sat down on the floor next to him.

He snickered heartily. "Well, for one, you're kind. There may be need for someone like you to serve as a mediator. After all, it's still our plan to do this without too many deaths."

"Can it truly be done? The destruction of Zionia and the other universes without a massive amount of casualties?" I asked, looking down.

"It does seem insane to think it's possible, but that's why I am entrusting you with a way to figure it out. You are the one those fearful people will be most likely to trust. Speaking of which, I need you to do me a favor. Go to Xeleria."

"Why?" I asked.

Pa turned to look at me. "I want you to go to Xeleria and keep an eye on Satoru for me."

"Why?"

His eyes lacked the usual cheer. Instead they reminded me of Mai and Ma's stern, calculating eyes. Man-Kin had the same look, but only when in his 'Cool' persona.

"I accepted Satoru to serve as a Lieutenant under my banner to keep an eye on him. Though Roa and you failed at doing that while in Zionia. You might still be serving as spies for us right now if you had."

I closed my eyes. "I have no idea as to why Satoru suddenly showed up at the palace when he did. We told him not to as the king had made a change of plans. Wait, were you aware of them as his uncle appeared in front of the others."

Papa nodded. "Yes... it was Satoru who told us to do so in what I think was the day prior. He also said that he was gonna head to the palace the next day."