Episode 21: Soul Encounter

I decided to go get Yuko and I something to eat before heading out to search

"Hey, you," a voice called out from behind as soon as we entered the cafeteria.

I turned around and saw the same man from before and his child.

"Kun, go join your mommy and siblings. I want to talk to this young man."

"Okay!" Kun said, grinning. "Hope that Lei and Yen haven't eaten all of the honey chips!"

I put my hands behind my head as I watched the kid run off. It was strange, but seeing him go like that made me feel as if I were watching my own son running off.

Once he was gone, I turned toward the kid's actual father.

"Young man you said? You seems pretty young yourself... Though you do look as if you've seen a lot in your short life," I said.

The man chuckled. "How did you figure?"

"Not sure," I said, shrugging. "I can just tell. So, what is it that you wish to talk about? My friend here and I are famished."

The man walked past me. "Then allow me to buy you something."

I looked around the place. The room was covered in gold and the floor was white and made of a super reflective material, giving the illusion that one is levitating slightly.

"Hey, how expensive is the food here?" I asked.

"Very. Though thankfully, I'm not one actually paying. If I were then I would be indebted for years! Lucky for me, I got my sponsor paying for me."

"Sponsor?" I asked, tilting my head. "Aren't only those up to 21 allowed to participate? You can't be 21, uh... unless if you had that kid at fourteen."

The man snickered. "You are correct. I am 24. As for my sponsor... I guess client would be a better term." He drew closer. "I was hired to provide security for the games."

"Security?"

"Yeah. I work in security. I was hired as one of the guards for Chief Kohana. He's the ruler of Wahkan, a tiny island nation toward the northwest of here. Though that man doesn't need much protection, he is a powerhouse in his own right. So instead I've taken to watching over our nation's team."

"I hope that you are more efficient than King Osamu's guards back home," I said, snickering.

The man chuckled as we lined up. "I am not sure who that is, but I am not too shabby if I say so myself."

I smiled. Maybe Ximena was right. This guy really did seem to be me. Hopefully he was stronger than this world's Serrano.

"There's so many people!" someone screamed as they lined up behind us. The person was a feminine looking black haired guy. His eyes were also blue but they were a oasis blue opposed to my counterpart's electric blue.