Episode 37: Fire and Ice Kitsune

"Well, we're here," Koukyuu said as we arrived at the entrance of the stadium

"Well, we're here," Koukyuu said as we arrived at the entrance of the stadium. "Go see what my big brother Maki wants."

I sighed. I was actually starting to enjoy the festival. I even bought a green yukata and fan.

I turned toward the girl I had given my cape to for cleaning. "Uh, what was your name again?" I said as I stared at my freshly hand washed silk cape.

"The name is Sonata Key. You're welcome," the dark skinned, white haired girl said as we entered the stadium.

I smiled widely. "Thanks, Sonata."

"I'm surprised that you can speak our language," the boy accompanying her said, crossing his arms.

That's right. How was it that I could speak fluently? Setsuko, Hyosetsu, and Eiichi were taught in the various languages, and so were the knights assigned to us. I was too but I often skipped class? Wait, was the peasant knight proficient too?

"Is something the matter?" the fair skinned, white-haired girl asked.

"Can you really understand me?" I said, trying to speak Zionian over Xelerian.

"Yeah," Sonata and the boy responded.

"Wait, you were speaking Zionian just now," Koukyuu said, eyes wide. She turned to the others. "How did you two understand him. But... wait. You were speaking... How did I... " She grabbed her head. "This is so weird."

I stared at my angel tool. Was this thing the cause for my sudden proficiency? Wait, but what about the kids, Nori and Yuko? Then again, they were descendents of this world...

"Well, I better go meet up the others. I did promise Serrano and Setsuko that I wouldn't cause any more trouble. Plus, their call sounded rather urgent..."

"You should come see the tournament event," Zydeco said, grinning. "The next match will be Sefa versus Kyuu Seishin!"

I glanced back at the huge white arena in the center of town. "Are all the games held here?"

"Nope, they'll held throughout the country," the princess responded as she flipped her long, white hair back. "The tournament is the most popular and usually lasts the longest. There also are occasional breaks in-between to allow the other events some attention."

"Interesting. Wish that we had something like this in our realm. It would certainly make things more interesting. Ohh, but such events likely wouldn't happen over where I live."

"Where are you from?" Sonata asked.

"Kuroriku... the backwaters of it. If an event like this were made, it would likely be at the capital and other major cities."

"Aren't the Kuroriku the rivals of your father's clan?" Zydeco asked, glancing at Koukyuu.

"Yeah, they are. But my brothers and I wish to overcome said rivalry, even though the wounds they inflicted on us do run deep..."