Episode 10: Remorse

[Palace Infirmary]

[Palace Infirmary]

"Master," Yuko mumbled. Her face was stained with tears. Earlier, she had lashed out on Serrano after what had happened. 

Kohri on the other hand had remained respectfully silent, allowing Yuko to do the lashing out for him.

"Don't worry, he'll be fine. It'll just take some time for him to wake up," I said, placing a hand on her shoulders.

The little girl looked over at me and let out a slight cry. "Yuko doesn't want to be alone again."

"Hey, you got me too," Kohri said, smiling. "Uh, but yeah. It would be best if Tetsu is along for the ride."

I lowered my eyes toward Yuko and petted her head. "You won't be. I am going to go outside to get some fresh air. Care to join me?"

Yuko shook her head and pressed her head against Tetsuya's right arm. This man really did have some sort of ability, making people care for him despite the allegations against him.

"Kohri, please watch over them," I said as I walked over to the door.

"Don't worry, I will," he said with a slight smile. It was nice to have him around again. Kohri usually made things feel less burdensome than they were.

I opened the back door of the palace's infirmary and walked out. The night-time air was crisp with the recent rains. I turned right and saw Serrano seated down in a bench with his hands crossed together as if in prayer. He glanced up as soon as he saw me.

"How is he?" he asked, his brow furrowed. His eyes were red, as if he had been crying.

I smiled and sat down next to him. "You still care about him, don't you?" I asked, poking his left cheek lightly.

He averted his gaze. "No... well yes, but it's only because he's one of the Five Knights of Prophecy. Your father would be furious if I ended up killing one of the five."

I narrowed my hazel eyes at him.

"You know, you're just being a tsundere. Though, you're right about my father needing him. He spared his life because of that," I said as I crossed my arms over my chest. "Though you know that's not it. A friendship can't just die over night. I know that the allegations against him are heavy."

I looked down at my hands and recalled how I had treated Tetsuya.

"You know, if I hadn't taken the time to talk to Rosa, I would probably have reacted the same way as you just did. My sister, while still fearful of getting close to him, wants to give him a chance to prove himself."

He sighed and glanced up at the starry night sky. "Rosa is being naive again."

"And if he's innocent?" I asked, leaning toward him. "What then?"

He closed his eyes. "I would love to think he is, but for now there's no proof that he is. On the contrary, the evidence as it stands is against him. Kohri trusting him isn't indicative of his innocence. He isn't a living lie detector. He can make mistakes."