Episode 78: Alba Aura

"Field, change!" Celestial Queen Saya yelled

"Field, change!" Celestial Queen Saya yelled. She stood on a stone throne on the opposite side to my father.

Maki and I gasped as the battlefield suddenly shifted. Instead of standing on a white tiled ring, we were standing on top of a circular platform suspended high up in the air with clouds below. The edges of the arena had seven torches while the center had seven mounds of dirt and rock.

"Not a bad place to fight, huh?" Maki said as he stared at the golden torches. "Seems to be the doing of Zyuuni." He snickered. "That guy's illusions sure have gotten stronger."

"Yeah," I said, glancing around the place. Had he really not held back against Eri during the Maholympics?

"Begin the match!" Lady Saya's voice echoed as if we were inside some big stadium.

My ruby beaded angel tool glowed bright crimson while the wings of Maki's silver dove necklace transformed into flames. The flames shot out and covered the arena with brilliant light.

I closed my eyes and turned away from the bright light.  My eyes ached from its intensity. I hadn't felt like this since Reno's angel tool transformation blinded Roa and me in the cavern when we tried to rescue Dan.

I slowly opened my eyes but when I did, I was met with a rolling kick which sent me toward one of the torches. I had to grab a hold of one of them in order to avoid falling over the edge into the clouds below.

"Ugh, I hate that dirty trick," I mumbled to myself as I pushed myself up. My triangular drones began to spin faster and faster behind me as they charged up for an attack.

Maki grinned as he snapped his fingers.

My eyes widened as flames from the torch I had used to hold on leapt out, nearly hitting me. Luckily, I managed to jumped off in time.

"My siblings often say that I don't take things seriously, so I'm trying to change that here. I'm not holding back," he said as a pair of chakrams appeared in his hands. "Flaming Phoenix!"

Change... I also need to change myself. I need to leave my old naive self behind. I need to become stronger too, that way, I can help my sister and the others defend our home.

A pair of red wings sprouted from his back and exploded into flames, resembling the wings of the eternal fire bird. Flames also sprouted out of his wrists in patterns reminiscent of feathers. He reminded me of a fire-fighting rooster from a cartoon Setty and used to watch.

Maki grinned and flew toward me at breathtaking speed. I raised my hand and fired the lasers off out of three of the seven triangular drones, while having the other four on standby to guard me.

The white-haired prince gasped and dashed toward the right in an attempt to dodge the first of the beams but the second one followed him. He raised the chakrams in his hands, using them as shields. The shimmering red metal deflected the beam back toward me, but I had one of my other drones defend against it.