Episode 16: The Ancient Vulpes

*Satoru*

I opened my eyes and found myself laying in a futon. It had been ages since I had last slept in one, not since I was a toddler. The floor the futon was laid across was made of woven dried straw.

Laying next to me, on his own futon, was Roa who was situated next to Man-kin as well.

Reno meanwhile slept on the opposite side. His long crimson hair had been cut short.

I rubbed my head and tried to recall what had happened. Last I recalled, we had fought Serrano.

Suddenly one of the other doors in the largely empty room slid open. Standing in the hallway was a man whose face looked like an ogre. The man grinned as soon as he saw me.

"Seems that you're awake, Satoru," he said as he carried a clay bowl in his hands.

I rose up from my futon. "Are you one of my father's servants? Where is he now?"

The man chuckled. "I am your father."

I scoffed. "You aren't. My father isn't ugly like you!"

He took a deep breath. "I guess that you forgot my voice." He snapped his fingers, causing a swirl of red flames to surround him. Once the flames dissipated, a familiar figure emerged.

"Father!" I yelled, causing Reno to wake up. "How did you find us?"

The man chuckled. "I told you it was me." He raised a hand up to his chin and studied the other boys. "Reno here told me what happened. The boy was gravely injured. I had to call upon Suzuran healers in order to save him. It truly was a close call."

"Thanks again," Reno said, patting his bed hair down. He glanced at Roa and Man-kin. "They aren't awake yet?"

"Reno, what happened?" I asked.

Reno's eyes widened. "You don't remember? Serrano almost killed all of us! He was like a beast! He managed to chase us into the cavern despite his injuries. He almost killed you when you wouldn't answer his questions. The three of us had to step in to save you. Man-kin managed to activate the portal in time but collapsed soon after."

"Luckily I was exploring the ruins, else you would've died," Father said, crossing his arms. "You disappoint me, Satoru. To have lost in a four on one battle like that. I expected you would have grown stronger than that."

I clenched my hands. I wanted to say something, but nothing came to mind. I had no excuse. I wasn't as strong as I thought I was.

I lowered my head, avoiding his fiery eyes. "I came here for you to train me," I finally responded.

"Train you?"

I nodded slightly. "Yeah, in the kitsune arts. I want to improve my illusions and magic."

He scoffed. The sound of footsteps drew my head up. Father was leaving.

"Seems he's mad at you," Reno said, sighing. He jumped out of the futon. Bandages covered his right side.

"Didn't you get healed?"

Reno's touched his side and smiled. "The wounds were so severe that they needed to give me stitches."

My mouth dropped open. No way. Serrano had managed to hurt him so much that even the magic of the Suzuran couldn't fully close the wounds?

Reno sighed once more as he walked over to the front of the room. He picked up a white undershirt and a black coat hung up on the wall. "Well, if you excuse me, I got classes to attend."