Episode 20: Incomplete Souls

Serrano turned to look at me as we were flying back to the hotel

"Hey, Tetsu...ya. I-" Serrano began.

My eyes widened. "Wow, you called me by my name like before. Are you feeling well?" I asked, looking him over.

He narrowed his eyes. "Stop joking around." He directed his eyes ahead. "I just want you to know that I ran into Satoru while in the abyss. He and his friends were the ones who injured me. Though, I did manage to injure them gravely before they could get away."

I remained silent. Why had he felt the need to tell me this now?

"Anyway, Satoru said something interesting. He seemed to know what had happened between Rosa and you."

I recalled hearing his voice back at the tower. Had he really been there? Or maybe Satoru had another power we had yet to grasp.

"I heard his voice recently," I admitted. "It was before I met with Yuko again."

Serrano lowered his eyes. "Maybe he's the one who did it... He does have a reason to do so. However, that doesn't explain..." He suddenly paused.

I tilted my head. "Explain what?"

He grimaced.

"Serra," Xime said, touching his shoulder as we glided through the air. "What were you going to say?"

Serra touched his head and winced again. "Ugh..."

"Serra!"

"Are you okay?" I asked, flying over to him.

"I'm... fine. What was I saying?" he asked, rubbing his head.

"You said that Satoru might be the culprit but that it doesn't explain something. What is that something?" I said, nudging him.

"I... don't recall... I just know there's something else. A reason I can't trust you," he said, closing his eyes.

My heart suddenly felt as it had crashed into the ground below. What was causing him to mistrust me? And why couldn't he recall?

"It's just like with Nori and Yuko," Ximena said. "You couldn't remember them either."

"Nor could I," I whispered. What was wrong with Serra and me? Why were there gaps in our memories?

"That's concerning," Ximena whispered. "Maybe it's tied to your injuries. Did you hurt your head recently?"

"Yeah, but it wasn't severe," Serrano said, looking away.

"Hopefully, you can remember. I'll like to..." I bit my lip. "Clear my name."

"I know! Maybe some fun will trigger Serra's memory!" Ximena said with a wide smile.

The two of us chuckled. Having Xime with us anew was refreshing. Whenever we had an issue she would help us resolve it in her typical cheerful fashion. I always wondered how she did it. Perhaps, it was due to her faith in the divine couple... that was something I certainly didn't have. At least, not until I met Hanketsu and even then it was but a tiny particle. A tiny particle... if only it was the size of a mustard seed... then I could move mountains.