All Of The Stars - DenNor

Denmark x Norway

_____________________

'It's just another night
And I'm staring at the moon
I saw a shooting star
And thought of you
I sang a lullaby
By the waterside and knew
If you were here,
I'd sing to you
You're on the other side
As the skyline splits in two
I'm miles away from seeing you
But I can see the stars
From America
I wonder, do you see them, too?'

It's been so long since I moved here. So long since I said farewell to you. I didn't want you to be left behind but you said you'd be okay looking after Emil by yourself. It's just another night after all. Another night just staring up at the moon. I saw a silver streak in the sky. A shooting star. Immediately my mind wandered to you, Lukas. You'd love sitting the clearing of the forest and looking up at the stars.

I constantly had the sound of swishing water from the sea. I couldn't stop myself singing the lullaby you used to sing to Emil when he was younger. If you were here Lukas, I'd sing to you. I'd sing all those songs we used to sing together. Even ones that you told me you liked but I didn't. The skyline seemed to split in two. On one side was me and on the other was you. I'm miles away Lukas. So far away that I can't see you. I smiled to myself slightly.

"I can see the stars from America. Can you see them too Lukas?" I asked the empty air. 

'So open your eyes and see
The way our horizons meet
And all of the lights will lead
Into the night with me
And I know these scars will bleed
But both of our hearts believe
All of these stars will guide us home'

Our horizons meet no matter where we are. The horizon is still the horizon. That's what you told me. You told me that no matter where we were the horizons meet. I knew all of those lights in the sky would lead into the night with me. These emotional scars would bleed sometimes. I believed that our heart would believe that these stars will guide us home. The home that will be ours. All of those stars Lukas. So many stars that I could make a wish on. Every single one would be for you. 

'I can hear your heart
On the radio beat
They're playing 'Chasing Cars'
And I thought of us
Back to the time,
You were lying next to me
I looked across and fell in love
So I took your hand
Back through lamp-lit streets and knew
Everything led back to you
So can you see the stars?
Over Amsterdam
You're the song my heart is
Beating to'

I drove to my new school. The radio started playing Chasing Cars. I could hear your heart beat. I thought of us. Back to the time we were laying beside each other in your room whilst talking about the future. That was before I confessed. Before those three words were uttered to you in a frenzied passion. I knew that that was the day I fell in love with you. Remember that time that we came home late from school and it was dark out. Through lamp lit streets did we walk. Our boots making soft thuds on the ground. I just knew that everything we ever did. Everything I did would lead back to you.

You told me you went on holiday to Amsterdam. Was it nice there? Can you see the stars over Amsterdam? I want to tell you how much I love you so badly. It'd have to wait until our next video call. I can't help but think that you're the song my heart is beating to. 

So open your eyes and see
The way our horizons meet
And all of the lights will lead
Into the night with me
And I know these scars will bleed
But both of our hearts believe
All of these stars will guide us home

I ran from the house and down to the beach where I'd watch the beginning of nightfall and stay there when the stars came out to shine upon the Earth. I did this every day. Each time I'd remember something about you. I'd remember what you liked, what you disliked and what sort of things you were into.

I couldn't care about the tears on my cheeks. I couldn't care about anything else. Just you. All that's on my mind is you. Our horizons will meet Lukas. Every single day. I know these scars that you've left will bleed but I know both of our hearts believe one thing.

All of these stars in the sky will guide us home. 

'And, oh, I know
And oh, I know, oh
I can see the stars
From America'

I sniffed a little, curling in on myself. The news reached a part of me that I hoped would never see the light of day. I should've come right away. I should've come back to Norway. Your letter to me was gripped into my hand. Some of the ink was smudged. Probably from your tears. I didn't know. To answer your question Lukas. I can see the stars from America.

"Oh Lukas," I sobbed staring at all the stars "Why'd you have to leave so soon?"