Happier - America

America x Ex! Reader

______________________

'Walking down 29th and park
I saw you in another's arms
Only a month we've been apart
You look happier'

Alfred walked down the street that he'd normally walk with his beautiful girl. But since a month ago you weren't his girl. That special thing that you had just wasn't meant to be. Alfred stopped suddenly; people milled past him as the rain continued to pour down.

There you were. Waiting under shelter with another man. His arms were around your figure and that wasn't the worst part. Alfred turned and ran towards his apartment. It was better than being seen by you. As he was running, his tears mixed with the rain. The worst part was, you looked happier.

'Saw you walk inside a bar
He said something to make you laugh
I saw that both your smiles were twice as wide as ours
Yeah you look happier, you do'

A week or so ago when he had seen for himself that you moved on, he knew that maybe it was just wishful thinking, but maybe it was a trick of the mind making you look so happy with that other guy.

"Ain't that your gal?" asked the bartender cleaning out a couple of glasses. Alfred looked over and saw both you and your new man walking inside the bar. That's when you laughed. Clearly the man you were with said something to make you laugh. Alfred remembered when you used to laugh at his jokes, the silly antics or even making up what people were thinking while you walked past them.

That's when he saw it. Your smiles. Both you and your boyfriend had such wide smiles. They were twice as wide as ours. Thought Alfred swishing his drink around in his glass. So it was for definite. You looked happier.

'Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
But ain't nobody love you like I do
Promise that I will not take it personal baby
If you're moving on with someone new' 

Alfred slung his jacket over one of the chairs and chucked his key in the bowl by the door of his apartment. It ran through his mind how much he hurt you. The arguments, the flirting with other women. It just... Alfred knew that nobody hurt you like he did.

One thing was for sure. Nobody was ever going to love you as much as he did. Scrolling through his facebook, he saw that you had put up new pictures of you and your man. Alfred smiled slightly before it wavered into nothing.

Clicking on the comment section, he started to write. 'Promise that I won't take it personal baby. If you're moving on with someone new.' He hovered over the post button and deleted it all. There was no point trying to stir something up.

'Cause baby you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
And until then I'll smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you' 

In the pictures, you looked so much happier. "Don't worry you'll feel it too." remarked Mathias the last time Alfred had saw him. Alfred was absolutely miserable. So when he was invited round to a small gathering, you were there with your plus one. "Hey Alfred, how are you?" you asked. Alfred responded that he was fine and congratulations on your new relationship.

He was absolutely and completely distraught over the way he treated you and the loss of a relationship together. So Alfred did what he did best. He smiled to hide the truth. Alfred left the party early and headed home.

It was no secret that Alfred knew that he was much happier with you. 

'Sat in the corner of the room
Everything's reminding me of you
Nursing an empty bottle and telling myself you're happier
Aren't you?'

Sitting the corner of his trashed bed room, he cried silently. Everything here reminded him of you. The way you used to dance together to no music in the middle of the living room or the way you'd be talking about your future over breakfast in the kitchen.

Alfred fidgeted with an empty bottle as he thought about you. He kept telling himself that you're much happier now that you ever were. Aren't you Y/N?

'Ain't nobody hurt you like I hurt you
But ain't nobody need you like I do
I know that there's others that deserve you
But my darling I am still in love with you'

Nobody hurt you the way his words did. That much was true. His words were like knives and you were the one to get stabbed. "I need you." sobbed Alfred as his drunken self cradled an old photo of you and him. Nobody needed you like Alfred did. So he did a stupid thing, he threw the photo across the room and sobbed harder.

He knew that there were others out there that deserved you. Especially that man you were with now. My darling, I'm still in love with you.Alfred thought and rested his head against the wall. None of this was fair but he had to pay the price of his actions.

'But I guess you look happier, you do
My friends told me one day I'll feel it too
I could try to smile to hide the truth
But I know I was happier with you' 

Alfred was certain but still he guessed that you looked happier. And you do. He kept in mind that his friends told him that he'd feel happier too. That'd he'd move on. So Alfred thought he could try and smile to hide the truth of what he was feelings towards you moving on. It was hard but he'd try. Because deep down, he knew that he was happier with you. 

'Baby you look happier, you do
I knew one day you'd fall for someone new
But if he breaks your heart like lovers do
Just know that I'll be waiting here for you'

It's been a couple of months and it still hurt him to see you with that other guy. "Baby, you look so much happier, you do." muttered Alfred softly as he looked out over the skyline of New York. It wasn't long until you had put a post up. You were engaged.

"I knew one day you'd fall for someone new." he said to the voicemail. This was part of his congratulations and to make you aware that he still wasn't over you. Hopefully you've look past that and continue being his friend. You wouldn't ever get this message since you got a new number but it felt like it was good to at least call your old one and spout the feelings he's been bottling up all this time.

Alfred decided to write you a small message and he knew exactly what to write.

"But if he breaks your heart like lovers do... Just know that I'll be waiting here for you."