*1*

July 1980

"When I tell mommy she gon get you out of here! I'm gon tell her! I yelled at Dodge. Dodge is  my mom's nigga, when he first came around, he was real nice, he bought me kicks and hats...I actually liked him, but no one could replace my dad.

"Tell her what? That her perfect nigga been touching you! Dodge laughed. I felt the anger at the tips of my tiny fingers. At the time I was eight,which made my moms think I was pullin her leg. "Now come give yo daddy a hug." Dodge grabbed my arm.

"You ain't my daddy and ya never will be! I tried to pull away.  Dodge's rough hand whipped across my  face. I just held where it hurt, I ain't say nun cause I didn't wanna get hit again.

I heard the front door open and Dodge released his grip on me, I ran to the door. "Mommy, he hit me, he hit me! I screamed, pointing to my face.

"I'm sure he didn't mean it." My mom said, and kissed the bruise, I flinched at the pain.
____________________________________

August 1990

"Yo wassup Niyke! Aaliyah came runnin towards me, Aaliyah my home girl, she ride or die. Can't nun break us up, she would kick ass fa me and vise versa.

"Wassup Liyah, what you runnin fa? I dapped her up. She was plum di out of breath. "Dey talkin bout us gettin a new nigga today."  she let out a long breath.

"So what, you know who I fucks wit. Bump a new nigga." I laughed and closed my locker. "A'ight lil girl, don't get mad at me when he too fine."  Aaliyah rolled her eyes. I felt somebody grab my waist. "Yo you betta get to steppin fo my mans see you creepin."

I turned around to see my boyfriend, Randy, but they call em Kool-aid. Don't ask why.  "Fa sho ma, glad you keeps these niggas off you." He kissed my forhead.  "Mhm." I was cheesin like a psycho, as always.

"Yo wassup Kool-aid." Aaliyah dapped him up. "How's ya moms doin, heard she was shootin up."  Randy laughed. "I ain't talked to my moms since last week, she probably somewhere gettin high as we speak." he said.

"So wassup wit Dis new homie? You know em?  I asked him. "Yea Pac real cool, but you ain't gon talk to em." Kool-aid pushed my forhead wit his finger.  Aaliyah laughed. "Why not? I scrunched my face up.

"He might try to get his mac on wit ya, he get around." He said. "Well he can get his Mac on wit me, can't wait to meet Dis brotha! Aaliyah yelled. "A'ight whatever." I gave Kool-aid a kiss and started to walk to class, Aaliyah beside me.

"You and Kool-aid make a fine couple, I wants what y'all got."  Aaliyah punched me in the arm playfully. "Ah shit! I held my arm, remembering what Dodge did last night..

"Damn G, you dat soft? She asked. "Nah, i bumped my arm on the corner of the frigerator, I lied.

Just because Aaliyah my girl don't mean ima tell her about Dodge, she might think I'm fucked up or sum. "Yo clumsy ass." She laughed. When we got in da class room it was the same as usual. Paper airplanes on the teachers desk, niggas passin notes to the hoes...allat.

Aaliyah went and sat by Calvin, as usual, all dem block heads do is flirt, I think dey be fuckin to. "aye wassup snoop." I walked over and sat on the other side...third wheelin.