chapter 7. THE HIDDEN FRIEND IN HIM

For Sameera to get frightened, it must be some serious issue I just hope it's not that bad "I want you to tell me about this; I promise you I won't tell anyone not to your brothers, not to your sisters, not the elders. Just tell me what this is about. Noora just mentioned an issue with some guy because of which you missed some important function in your college that's all that slipped from her mouth and she refused to tell me about it until you do it yourself. But now seeing your face I can make out its something serious." I told her but she was still looking down. Maybe it is because we never had such talks and she might be irritated by my constant questions and she might snap any moment but I'm ready to wait. As I waited for an answer I saw something dripping down her face. Wait is she crying? "Sameera?"I called as I lifted her chin up and her face was slightly red and tears were flowing from her eyes. "wha-whats the matter?" it was like she was waiting for me to ask that question 'cause she just bursted out. I moved close to her and wrapped my arms around her and the very moment she gave in. I pulled her close and she was crying hysterically. I remember the only time this had ever happened before, when we were little hameed mama had whipped her really hard for punching our neighbours son during a fight, she locked herself in her room in which I was already hiding to prank on her. But when I saw her crying I just completely forgot everything and we ended up exactly like today, I consoling her while she cried in my arms and the very next day things were back to normal, fights, revenge and mocking. But I feel this is not the same case.I've never seen her so vulnerable. I decided not to speak until she cried her heart out and she snuggled in close to me and hugged me harder. She might have been hiding whatever it is for so long and might have pained her so much to cry like this. I always wanted her to be weak in front of me so that I can tease and win every argument and fight. But this is way different I never wanted her to be like this. Though we fought always we never hated each other. I liked her as much as I liked my other cousins, if only more. my chain of thoughts were startled when she moved away from me trying to wipe away the tears not meeting my eyes. I quickly handled her some tissues and she cleaned her face with them. "I'm sorry I ruined your t-shirt." She mumbled her voice hoarse from crying. "That's way out of my concern. You wanna go out on a ride?" I offered and she just nodded. "I'll just change-", "no your fine this way" I cut her off. "Come on" I said as I walked out. I found everyone in the hall chatting, playing and some busy with their own works. "Guys we'll be back in an hour, going for a ride." I announced as I took my car keys. I watched as some looked amazed, some smirking, some even hooting but their expressions changed as they saw Sameera's face and their gaze flickered between my wet t-shirt and her face. I could sense that she is feeling really uncomfortable under those gazes. "Why don't you walk I'll just get the key and be back." I said before anyone could ask her any questions. Before leaving she looked into my eyes trying to communicate something and I know exactly what she said I simply nodded and gave her an assuring smile and she tried to smile back before leaving. As soon as she left I was showered with questions and scolding.

"What happened to her?"

"Did she cry?"

"Did you guys fight again?"

"Where are you taking her, it's so late?

"Amaan fighting is okay and all but I won't bear if you make my sister cry like this"

"Let me talk to her"

"Guys guys would you please listen to me for once" I whisper yelled. "it's nothing serious, you know that she don't like this marriage right we just spoke about it and she got a bit emotional and we sorted things out and now taking her on a ride nothing much. I lied. "Well that explains your wet t-shirt" Zara commented. "So you guys are in love now?" Anwar asked expectantly " of course they are" Ali bhai said and I just rolled my eyes. "Ew its just like a typical bollywood movie, fight and then love. Cliché much." " Amaan, you know how sensitive she is, little issues can make her depressed just take care of your conversations at least from now on okay" aliya di said with awarning tone in her voice and I nodded. " Amaan you are my brother too but I can't bare it when choti gets hurt" samar warned. "Come on guys, you know me, all I used to do is some silly harmless tricks which even you guys enjoyed but I will never intentionally hurt her and you know that right. I'm just trying to be there for her. I used to care for her like all my other cousins but I never showed it to her or you for that matters. But now she is more of my responsibility than before and you guys don't have to worry about her I wont let anything hurt her." I said justifying myself. " sorry yaar its just that- " sameer bhai said but I cut him off by hugging him " you don't have to be bhayya i know how it feels to be an elder brother" I said as I looked over to zara and thamanna. Even though I knew arman very well, it always hurts me when zara would cry because of him even if it's a silly matter. "Amaan is there something we should know?" samar asked. " nothing"I replied because I hate lying to them "Bhayya just go Sameera di would be waiting for you" thamanna said. " okay bye. Don't worry about us. Lock the door I'm taking the spare key" I told them as I walked out of the door. I found Sameera leaning against my car staring at the ground. I unlocked my car and the alarm startled her. "sorry" I muttered as she got into the car. And I got behind the wheels. " did they punch you?" she asked as I started the engine. "almost" I chuckled at my own answer making her laugh as well. "so ice cream or coffee?" I asked. " seriously at this hour?" she asked. I checked my watch to see its 11. " lets see if we can find some coffee shop... you are sick so no ice cream" I said as I took a turn . "speak for yourself"she ribbed. " yaah me too" i muttered. "I don't remember any 24 hour coffee shop nearby so keep an eye for one" I informed her she just kept her gaze fixed on the road. We drove in silence but I didn't break it this time.