Chapter 39

Alexander's P.O.V

"Do you know why I wanted to speak to you?" Maximus asks as his eyes study me as if I were his prey, something that would come true if I wasn't careful.

"Evidently not, fool." I mutter the last part loud enough so that he'd heard it, a low growl escapes his lips allowing the satisfied smile to crawl it's way on my lips.

"Dangerous waters, tread carefully my dear mate." He says as he circles the long, kitchen counter, I do the same to keep a fair distance between us. "Running are we?"

"Chasing are we?" I reply mockingly. "Now get on with why you wanted to speak to me."

"Don't you want to spend as much time as we can together?" He replies with a smirk. "Where's the love?"

"With Julian."

"Fine, act like the loveless creature you try to be." He says making my canines threaten to extend. "Keep an eye on him, Julian I mean, he's not accustom to our lifestyle and Aiden seems to forget that." He says seriously.

"He needs it. I've been with the guy forever and you get a little tired of books everyday, he's happy and trying things." I explain as he rolls his eyes. "Lay off the boy would you, your making him feel worse and in turn it make us feel bad."

"He was reckless!" He exclaims.

"He was having fun!" I shout back, my eyes meet him challengingly as we stand so close his breath tickled my skin slightly.

"You don't understand do you, the pain that we felt seeing you lying there bleeding on the floor with your eyes slowly closing, not knowing if you'd be okay." He says slowly making my heart clench in guilt. "It's worst for Aiden, he doesn't realise he loves Julian so this is burning him from the inside out."

"Neither does Julian, they're still afraid to trust each other completely. But things like this will help them get there. They're still young, mistakes are inevitable."

"I know." He says with a sigh as his features relax a bit. "It still broke me to see you like that."

"Aw, you care." I coo making him lift his head as he chuckles slightly.

"Well I do love you." He says arrogantly as he traces my mark with his fingers making pleasurable vibrations run through my body to the soles of my feet.

"Funny how the hate changed to love, the Moon Goddess really fucked us over." I say making him smile.

"They think she did this to them, but it was to punish us wasn't it." He says making me laugh.

"That's what we get for spending generations destroying everything back home trying to get at each other's throats." I say remembering how long we've hated each other, when I realized he was Aiden's wolf I nearly lost it, finding out that the Moon Goddess put me with a human finally only to be in the same vicinity as Maximus. "I've fantasied your death for most of my life or how I'd emotionally scar you, but now..."

"Now you can't get enough of me." He says pulling my heated body against his.

"Really?" I whisper in his ear, he hums letting his hands slide down my body. "And what would you do if that were true?"

"I'd take you right here. Right now." He says huskily, I smirk just as his hands reach for my ass turning us swiftly before slamming his body into the fridge. I press my arm into his neck to hold him in place as he watches me with wide eyes that were sparkling in excitement.

"Let's get something clear, Max." I say as I trail my hand down his body before stopping at his waist where I push it into the fridge door before sliding my leg between his. "Julian and I are not 'bottoms', in the situation our lives have forced us into we adapted and accepted it. But do not forget, we let you take us. For the sake of Julian, I will not fuck you until your shooting blanks and screaming my name with a hoarse voice, I'll leave that special night for him and Aiden. So remember your place, my dear mate." I finish smiling as I remove the arm from his neck before using my fingers to trail his soft lips, he uses his tongue to lick one slowly sending shivers down my back.