2. Middle School

Fyi, they're 13.

"Jace, shut up." Alec shoved his best friend. "Magnus is cool."

"He wore makeup yesterday." Jace shook his head.

"Because he was in the play." Alec explained then quieted at Magnus walked towards them. He was said that they didn't hang out as much in middle school, but he knew that kind of thing happened. And it wasn't like he could join the drama or theater makeup club; his sports took up too much time.

"What did you think?" Magnus asked and clapped Alec on the shoulder, but gave it a little squeeze before pulling away.

"You were great." Alec smiled, he liked when Magnus did that.

"Of course, I was, but thank you." Magnus chuckled and bowed.

Jace stepped away looking around them. "I'll see you in Bio."

"Okay." Alec frowned. Why couldn't his two best friends get along?

"Sorry, you can go eat lunch with him and your other jock friends." Magnus hated seeing Alec upset especially since he knew it was his fault.

Alec perked up. "No way! We made a deal that no matter what happens we'll have lunch together on Wednesdays and catch up."

"Good." Magnus was relieved. Alec was so good at hiding his emotions that he always had to wonder what he actually felt.

"Plus, I brought your favorite." Alec reached into his backpack and pulled out a metal key.

Magnus snatched it from him and held it close to his heart. "How did you know that metal was my favorite lunch?"

Alec laughed, freely, it was a laugh that was mainly reserved for Magnus, not that he knew it. "I told you, I know you. It even has some glitter on it."

Magnus flipped it over and saw the other side with glitter glued on. "Oh, it does. Beautiful!"

"Anyway." Alec snatched it back with a huge grin on his face. "It's to the janitors closet. I thought we could have our own place." Alec looked down at his back shoes and blushed.

"I love it!" Magnus wanted to hug him, but now that they weren't kids anymore it didn't feel right. And it didn't help that Magnus had a crush on Alec. Of course, he had never heard Alec talk about any girls so maybe he felt the same.

"Well, come on." Alec grabbed his hand and felt warmth spread through his body before dropping it again. "Sorry." He muttered and led the way.

"You brought peanut butter and honey sandwiches." Magnus smiled in the darkened room.

"Yep, just like we had at our first lunch." Alec pulled out a coke for each of them too.

"Are you ready for the game on friday?" Magnus asked over a bit of his sandwich.

"Yeah," Alec took a swig of his drink. "But,  really I just can't wait for the season to be over."

"You're that ready for soccer?" Magnus asked, surprised.

"No, I just want a break from it. I feel like I don't get to do much, you know?" Alec brushed his fingers through his hair lile he always did when he was nervous. "We haven't even seen each other outside of school in weeks."

"I've missed you too." Magnus whispered and slowly inched his hand closer to Alec's. But, then Alec picked up his sandwich.

"We're still going on our camping trip right?" Magnus asked, feeling only a little hurt that Alec pulled away from him.

"Of course!" Alec smiled again. "A full weekend away from everything except you, I would not give that up for anything."

Magnus's heart raced. Maybe he did like him. "I can't wait."

They continued talking about anything and everything until the bell rang. Alec stood up and tripped over the mop, falling against Magnus. His hands gripped Magnus's arms tightly and their faces were right up against each other. He saw a spark in Magnus's eyes before his heart stopped.

Magnus leaned forward and kissed Alec on the lips. Alec's eyes bugged out and he pulled away. "Sorry, uh, I have to, uh, get to class." Alec sputtered as he tripped again on his way out.

Magnus touched his lips. Finally he had done it; he had kissed Alec. And then Alec ran away... that was probably a bad sign. Magnus shrugged his shoulders and laid back on the pile of clean towels. Maybe he could stay in here forever.

He jumped when the door cracked open. "Ah, found the mop." He grabbed a broom.

"Magnus, it's me." Alec whispered.

"Oh, hey." Magnus, "mop?" He offered.

"That's a broom." Alec's lip twitched.

"Well, broom?" Magnus shrugged.

"I'm good. I just wanted to make sure we were okay."

"Why wouldn't we be?" Magnus asked nonchalantly.

"Well, you, ah, um, you know." Alec muttered.

"Oh, that was an accident. We're good. I'll see you next weekend for our trip."

"Aren't you coming to my game?" Alec looked hurt.

"Oh, sure." Magnus nodded.

"Good." Alec smiled and played with the chain around his neck that only Magnus knew had a little plastic ring hanging from it. "You're one of my best friends. You know that, right?"

Magnus smiled. "You're my only best friend, Alexander."

"Alexander?" Alec smiled.

"Do you not like it?" Magnus blushed, he hadn't meant for it to slip out.

"From you,  I do." Alec said then left.

Magnus slumped back against the wall. That could have gone a whole lot worse.

A/N who's ready for their high school adventure? It's going to be a bumpy ride, but very fun! Thanks for reading, voting, and commenting. Love you guys!

Do you think they'll stay close or will school pull them apart?