11. Running Away

Answer: Jalapeno and Pineapple Pizza. Milk mixed with Orange Juice.

(I've just got tell you that Scars by James Bay came on while I was writing this and it added a whole new level to the heartbreak and healing.)

Alec opened the door and chucked his backpack inside before dropping into his seat. He needed to talk to someone, he needed to let the anger out but only one person knew the truth and even he didn't know everything. Alec turned his car on and whipped out of his parking spot without looking behind him. Someone honked but he didn't care. He just slammed the gear into drive and sped towards the exit.

Before he got to the gate Magnus jumped out in front of the car. Alec slammed on his brakes and let out a few choice curses.

"Get out of my way, Magnus." Alec said through his rolled down window.

"No." Magnus stood his ground. When he had gotten the text from Jace he was more than shocked, but he couldn't ignore it. Alec had finally lost it. If he didn't stop him, he was going to do something irreversible and as pissed as Magnus was at Alec he couldn't let him go; not alone at least.

"Get out of the fucking way!" Alec revved his engine but Magnus stayed put.

"Let me in." Magnus finally said.

"I'll hit you." Alec inched forward.

"Fuck this." Magnus sprinted forward and reached inside so quickly that Alec couldn't react before Magnus already had his keys in his hand, and his car was off.

"Give me my keys." Alec demanded.

"Scoot over." Magnus could be just as stubborn if not more and they both knew it. After what felt like a lifetime but was probably closer to a minute the staring contest ended and Alec grumpily stepped over the middle console and got in the passenger side. He crossed his arms and his lip twitched angrily. 

"Where are we going?" Magnus asked as he started Alec's car.

"Oh, don't you know?" Alec said sarcastically.

"Actually I do." Magnus put the car in drive and started driving. He didn't say anything and neither did Alec. After 3 hours of complete silence Magnus turned off the road at a gas station.

"What are we doing here?" Alec asked him with a sneer.

"Getting gas, peeing, grabbing a drink and food? Take your pick." Magnus shrugged and made sure to keep the keys in his hand.

"I meant where are we going?" Alec followed Magnus into the gas station.

"Right now I'm going to the bathroom." Magnus responded and held the door open for Alec.

"When are you going to give me a straight answer?"

"When are you going to realize that you're just along for the ride and I have all of the control?" Magnus shot back. (Fast Car by Sam Smith)

They went back to silence as Magnus filled his arms with drinks and road trip snacks including what he knew to be Alec's favorite: Twinkies with slim jims to dip in them. He had never understood it but that didn't keep Alec from indulging in his odd treat whenever they went on drives longer than an hour.

"That will be $35.47." The cashier said dully.

"Keep the change." Magnus tossed two twenty dollar bills on the table and took the bag. "Maybe buy yourself a smile or something." 

"Fuck you." The cashier glared.

"Wow, and you good sir, have a great day." Magnus mimed tipping his hat to him and walked backwards to the door managing to kick it open and get outside before turning around to walk forward.

"It's good to see you still manage to bring out the best in people." Alec said dryly. He didn't want to talk to Magnus, but the silence was becoming too heavy.

"It's a gift." Magnus nodded.

"Where are we going?" Alec asked again.

"It's a surprise." Magnus smirked and dropped the bag in the driver's seat before turning to the gas pump. "Do you still get the mid-grade?"

"Yes." Alec got into the passenger's side and dug into the bag for a package of twinkies and a slim jim. He ripped the meat open and took a big bite before opening the twinkies just like he always did. It felt nice to do something that felt normal.

"I still don't get why you like that." Magnus shook his head, dropped the bag in Alec's lap, and got in.

"I don't have to share it?" Alec shrugged.

"That's true." Magnus started the car and turned back to the highway. "Can you get me the chips?"

"Which ones?" Alec asked, looking into the bag that had barbeque, salt and vinegar, and sour cream and onion.

"What do you think?" Magnus asked as he turned on the cruise control.

"And you think I'm weird." Alec held the slim jim between his teeth and set the remaining twinkie on the middle console. He then opened all three bags and dumped them into one. Then he held the top and shook them gently.

"Delicious." Magnus said through a mouthful of chips.

A/N Same thing. 25 votes and the next chapter will be up. But also 50 comments just to slow you down a bit. hahaha You're going a lot faster than I expected. We might just end up finishing this thing today! I need to get writing! And sorry, I'll respond to your comments throughout the day like usual but it might take longer than normal so know I'm not ignoring you.

Question: Favorite snack food?