Chapter 19 🥀: Dont Leave Me, Big Bro

Mariah's POV
*
I woke up to my phone ringing beside my ear. It was 12:57 A.M.

"What?" I say, not even looking at the number.

"Where you at?"

"Nigga, I'm sleep. What?"

"You need to hop on the next flight hea', shawty. They done emptied the clip on ya brother." I felt my heart drop.

"The fuck is you talking about, YB?"

"One of his old hoes set him up. He went where she was to cool wit' her, I dropped him off, and when he got to the doorway, the nigga popped out of nowhere and started shootin'. He shot Mark in da' chest, back, and leg. He in the ambulance now--"

"How I know this ain't a set up?" I asked, thinking about that dream I had that he set me up. I heard him suck his teeth.

"LOOK, MARIAH, YO' BROTHER IS LAID UP IN A HOSPITAL. ION KNOW WHAT TYPE OF NIGGA YOU THINK I AM, BUT I AIN'T NO OPP. He yelled.

"Kentrell..." He cut me off.

"If you comin', we at Grady." He said lowly, hanging up afterwards. I was already halfway out the door with my purse. I was pedal to the medal all the way to the airport, calling in a rental car as I sped. The hour and change I flew seemed like forever. I ran through the airport, rushing to pick up my car. It seemed like nothing could go fast enough as I sped on the interstate, finally hitting Grady Memorial Hospital.

"Where is he? Where's my brother?" I felt tears that I was holding back this hold time roll down my face as Youngboy wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his chest. I struggled against him, calling for my brother, but I calmed down after a minute.

"He still in surgery..." He whispered softly in my ear. We were still hugging.

"I'm sorry for making you mad on the phone. I just feel like I can't trust nobody no mo'." I whispered into his chest, still crying.

"You good. I know how that shit feel." I pulled away from him. Everybody was staring with soft faces. I dialed my grandma's number.

"Gramma?"

"Hey, my favorite grandchild! Why you callin' so late, baby?" I heard her sweet voice chime.

"Mama, I just flew back from Louisiana and been here maybe an hour. A friend of mine saw Marcus get shot." I heard a muffled 'Oh lord.' 

"Is he okay?"

"He still in surgery."

"Who saw it? Lemme speak to them. Are they with you?"

"Yes ma'am.--YB, my grandmother wanna talk to you." He took the phone.

"Hello?--Kentrell.--Yes, ma'am.--He had asked me to drop him off at a young lady I waited until he got into the doorway before I start to pull off. When he started gettin' close to the door way, a dude stepped in the frame and started shooting at 'em, and he tried to run back to my car.--Yes ma'am, 'bout six or seven times.--You welcome.--Grady." He handed the phone back to me.  I noticed his voice started cracking a lot.

"Gramma, you coming?"

"I'll be there in a lil' while. Let me know if some' change 'fo I get there."

"Yes ma'am." She said bye, and I hung up. I looked over at Kentrell, who was teary eyed.

"You good, dawg?"

"She sound just like my grandma, mane." He let one slip. I didn't ever see him cry, but it made me wanna cry, too. I flopped down and put my head in my hands. I don't normally do weak shit in public, but I started crying hard. I felt somebody rub circles in my back.