Chapter 84 🥀: Life

Mariah Williams 💫

"Come on, Niecey!" I wave her on, as I stepped in front of the big court house for the thousandth time. It's been a month ever since this custody shit started. I was truly tired of this shit, but I wanted her to stay with me. She was safe.

"So, what am I posed to say?"

"You gonna answer the lady's questions. The truth, you know that?" She nodded.

"I'm I gonna we daddy?" She pointed to his car. I sighed.

"Yes." We walk in and hit the courtroom floor. I waved Brianna to make her sit quietly.

"Hello everyone, nice to see you again. Hello, you must be Brianna." Brianna smiled shyly, making me chuckle. She was usually so outgoing and never shy.

"Mr. Williams, your report?" He grimaced as he handed the report to the bailiff, and then to he handed it to the judge.

"You...shot a little boy?"

"It wasn't intentional—"

"So, reckless endangerment? I should toss you out of my court on your ass. You come in here with a child endangerment charge on your record, tell me it's gonna be erased, and expect me to grant you full custody of this child? What she said determines if you even get joint custody—or even supervised visits. Brianna, sweetie? Could you come and stand in the middle of the floor?" He was quiet after she got done ranting. Brianna came and stood in the middle of the floor, staring at the judge.

"Hi, my name is Mrs. Emma. Can you tell me how it is to live with your Auntie? Do you like it?" Brianna nodded.

"Does she feed you well?"

"Uh huh!"

"When she goes to work or school, who keeps you?"

"Uncle Ken."

"I'm assuming this is Kentrell." I nodded.

"Now, this next question I'm going to ask you...if you don't want to answer it, don't. Okay?" She nodded.

"How was it when you lived with your mommy? Was it fun?" She shook her head.

"No?" She looked at both of us next.

"Her mama was abusive, her whole side messed up." Marcus sighed.

"That was the only thing we could agree on, we knew we had to get her out of that situation..." My voice started breaking and shit when I thought about the marks on her body.

"What was the evidence that she was being abused?" She asked.

"She has scars all over her body—" I cut Marc off.

"Her mama dangled out of a fifteen story window." I crossed my arms. The judge sat there in shock.

"Yeah, that's why she went to jail... and passed." I looked at him as he wrote something.

"Brianna, did your daddy act like your mommy? When you were still with him?"

"Sometimes..."

"What does that mean?"

"Sometimes—" She looked back at Marc.

"No, no sweetie. Look at me."

"Sometimes mommy would give herself a shot, and she would be crazy, and then go to sleep."

"Does daddy do the same thing?" She looked up at Marc and he mumbled 'shit.'

"Not really, he acted like mommy, but he took medicine."