Chapter 35 🥀: Chain Gang

Mariah's POV
*
"This call will be recorded, and monitored. I have a collect call from--" The robotic voice stopped, and static started for a while, before it began talking again.

"--an inmate at West Baton Rouge Parish Jail. To accept this free call, press one." I fumbled to press one, sighing when the phone started ringing.

"Hello?"

"What the fuck?"

"I can explain, bruh."

"Nasir, why the hell you in jail?" I sighed, feeling a headache come on. Kentrell cut on the light, grabbing his shoes.

"Man, Jordan dumb ass had me inna stolen car. He went around the block an' told me I could take it for a test drive. Told me to go to the store, and the police pulled up behind us. He set me up, talm bout he ain't know Ian have a license and ain't know the car was stolen." He sucked his teeth and mumbled under his breath. Jordan was the neighborhood snake, I knew that without being on the block. I knocked on Keisha's door. She opened it, and I pointed to Diamond. She nodded.

"Man, I'm comin'. Where Nadia and Beenie?"

"Nadia...got booked for assault earlier. They said they was lettin' her go 'cause they dropped the charges."

"WHAT? ASSAULT OF WHO? AND AINT NOBODY THINK TO CALL ME?" I snatched my wallet and stomped after Kentrell.

"We thought we could get it settled without stressing you out." He mumbled.

"Well, I'm stressed like hell, now! Y'all are fuckin' unbelievable!"

"Don't call mam--"

"Oh, I'm callin' ya Mami. As soon as I figure out how to explain all this." I hang up as we speed off to the jail.

*

"Hol' up, hol' up, hol' up. So...Nadia saw Star, cracked her ass, she called the police 'cause she lost, then dropped the charges 'cause of me?" I scrunched my face up.

"And Ben."

"Boomer, too."

"Can't forget Beenie. Kd chimed in, too."

"But mostly, you." I bursted out laughing.

"A-and Jordan is Star's cousin?" Kd nodded.

"And he told the truth bout Nas, 'cause Star told him bout lil ole me?" I smiled innocently.

"Hell yeah, shoulda heard him. 'I-it ain't his fault, I forced him to do it.' Face ass!" We laughed as we got to the car.

"I'm so glad I ain't gotta call nobody mama for bail money." I said, twerking a little.

"Don't get hurt." I heard YB mumble. I huffed and stopped, getting in the car.

"What y'all jailbird ass kids wanna eat?" YB laughed as they mugged him jokingly. I ignored their conversation as I stared out the window, deep in thought. I was pulled out of my thoughts when somebody thumped my bottom lip. I was getting ready to cuss them out, but stopped. Kentrell looked at me, eyes full of worry.

"You good?" He asked in a soft voice, looking back at the road. I nodded stiffly.

"Why you like to lie? I can see it all inya face." He put a hand on my thigh. I waved him off.