Chapter 20 🥀: Back in the Rouge

Mariah's POV
*
"But--"

"Baby, I don't wanna hear it. I know you off to college out there, so you don't have to stay here. But ya' mama is not gon' take care of this boy while he needs it!" Thank God, Marcus pulled through after he was clinically dead for a while. He's getting out today, but Grandma won't let him come back to Louisiana with us.

"Grandma, that's how he got shot in the first place." I whined as he shifted his body in his wheelchair. We still don't know if he'll be wheelchair bound for the rest of his life, he still can't feel his legs.

"I know this ain't my business, but what are you gonna do if somebody shoots up ya' crib?" Ben said through the phone.

"Ben!" My grandma chuckled.

"Ya grandma know how to defend herself." She said lowly, motioning to her purse as she reached for it. She pulled a Desert Eagle into view. I gasped, flipping the camera.

"Gramma say she stay ready for that pistol play!" I heard YB yell. I laughed.

"I see where that savage in ya come from."

"I thought you was a Godly woman!"

"I pray, I go to church every Sunday, I stay faithful. Just 'cause I carry that Peacemaker, don't mean I ain't Godly. Folks crazy these days." We all nodded.

"Imma call y'all back." I hung up, huffing at my grandma.

"We not about to argue bout this, child."

"You gone be able to handle him, ma?" She nodded.

"Y'all talm bout me like I'm a child!" He bucked.

"Shut up, 'fore I box yo crippled a--butt." I cut myself off, I don't curse in front of Grandma. she laughed, ignoring us.

"Just fine." She assured me. I nodded, sighing. I looked at Marcus.

"Why you been so quiet?"

"Nothing." He said bluntly.

"Well, I gotta flight to catch after I return this rental." I hugged and kissed Grandma and Marcus, running out with some old clothes I left when I moved. After four hours, I was pulling up at Mama's crib.

"What you want?" She was smoking a cigarette, puffing the smoke in my face. I mugged her. I ain't seen her smoke since daddy 'died'.

"Ya son got shot six times in Atlanta."

"He dead?"

"No, he staying with grandma. He in a wheelchair, right now." She blowed another puff of smoke.

"What the hell he doin' back in Atlanta when I dropped my life for his dumb ass?" She rolled her eyes, and so did I.

"Ain't doin' nothin', but being manish." She chuckled at me.

"His daddy's son, I'm tellin' ya." She breathed out.

"Where you been stayin'?"

"Me and Keisha got a spot together."

"Y'all fuckin' them lil' boys, huh?" I sucked my teeth at mama.

"See, this why it took me so long to come back around. You be on that bullshit." I turned around and started walking to my car.

"Tell my daddy I said hey." I hissed over my shoulder.

"Whateva." I remembered when she told me that he might not be my father.