Chapter 29 🥀: DNA

Mariah's POV
*
"Nadia, will you please hurry up, 'fo I turn up on you?" Nadia been in the damn bathroom for two hours, luckily she got in last. We were all sitting and waiting for her to come out, so I can take them to see their auntie.

"I'm comin' out!" She announces. I push Diamond up on my side and walk away from the bathroom door. I just wanna get this over with. The door opens and shuts as she walks behind me.

"My bad, y'all." She simply says. I nod and put the baby in her seat, waving them to come on. On the way there, I almost crashed on the road, realizing that they probably didn't know that my daddy was alive.

"You good, cuz?"

"Yeah, yeah. Uh, look. When we get here, there might be a surprise inside the house? Just act cool, and Imma explain it later." I sigh.

"If you're gonna tell us Uncle Marc is still alive, mama told us after the funeral." Again, I almost crashed my damn car.

"She did what?"

"She told us--" Nasir started yelling, but I cut him off.

"NIGGA--I heard her! I ain't find out until we moved up here."

"We figured you ain't know, 'cause whenever you'd ask where your mom was and we'd say visiting Uncle Marc, you'd think she was taking a nap." I let out an aggravated sigh as we pulled into the driveway. We got out and went to the door. Nasir started making beats on it, but Nadia slapped him in the back of the head. I snickered as the door opened.

"Look at my sister's beautiful kids!" She squealed, hugging the twins as they stepped inside, and grabbing Diamond away from me. I walk in with them, flopping on the couch. Not too long after, Daddy came down the stairs, immediately looking at me.

"Can I talk to you?" He tapped me. I held back the urge to roll my eyes, walking into the kitchen with him. I crossed my arms, tilting my head to the side.

"You thought I was gon' let you slide? You didn't call me when you was in the hospital, or ya brother? What the hell ya'll got goin' on?" He was mugging me, and I mugged back.

"From what I heard, since I was in a coma, Junior called you the night I got emitted, and you didn't answer! So, I ain't bother wasting my time or my battery to dial you up when we were in Atlanta." I leaned back on the counter. He looked at me with the ugliest face, but then it softened. He sighed.

"That was the night I was stocking up."

"Yeah, okay." I shrug.

"What happened to you that night?" I told him the story.

"What's this I'm hearin' bout Marcus in a wheelchair? Some boy named Kentrell 'bout saved his life?" I felt myself blush.

"Uh--I--" He squinted at me, then laughed.

"Aww, my baby girl has a crush!" He took me into a hug, smiling hard.

"Dad..." I groan, burying my face in his chest.

"You gon' let me meet him?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"No."

"Why not?"

"You ain't gon' like him no matter what I do." Daddy was strict with boys before he dropped off the map. He waved me off.

"Lemme see him." I sucked my teeth, pulling out my phone. I went to my gallery, showing him. I prayed that there were no reckless pictures.

"I recognize this boy." He mutters.

"Is that a good thing?" I bite my lip. All he did was grunt.

"Ain't this that Youngboy character?" I sighed.

"Yes..."

"Mariah..." I crossed my arms.

"He used to be on my block. Nothin' but trouble. Thought his ass was still in locked up."

"He's rapping now, he not doin' the stuff he used to."

"That's supposed to make me feel better?"

"Daddy, he's the one dude that actually cares about me, and we not even togetha'." I bite my lips to hold a smile back.

"Mariah, you a smart girl. You know him and his niggas ain't no good. Separate yourself from that." I shake my head in disagreement.

"Daddy, I ain't told nobody outside of him, his friends, and a couple of other people, you promise not to spazz out?" He nodded hesitantly.

"I met a boy, things were going good, and it went downhill fast. He raped me." His eyes went wide as I talked fast.

"I'll kill the lil nigga, where he at?" He asked calmly, pulling out a gun to check the magazine.

"Six feet under, daddy. He got killed the night he did it."

"By who?" I played with my ring.

"I think Youngboy 'nem did it...He found out when I came out of the room with--" I felt myself get choked up.

"With blood on my legs. I asked him to stay the night with me, and I woke up at 3 A.M. to see he was gone. And when I woke back up, he was holding me again."

"How they say that nigga died?"

"He had a shot to the foot, crotch, chest, but three bullets to the brain took him out. They said it could've been robbery. Daddy shook his head.

"That's overkill. Somebody was mad. So maybe he killed him, why should I let you be with him?"

"Because he cares about me, I think. My 18th comin' up. You might as well come in peace."

"Over my dead body."

"Dead or not, I'm feelin' him, daddy. I like his vibe." He waved me off.

"You still ain't told me about my son." I sucked my teeth, telling him about the whole situation. He shook his head.

"That damn boy."

"Yo' son."

"Yo' brother." I rolled by eyes.

"Mama told you what I said when I came and told her 'bout Junior?" He nodded. We sat quiet for a minute.

"So, what made you say that?" I clenched my jaw.

"Yo' partna' told me you might not be my daddy!" He sighed, and stayed quiet.

"So issa possibility?" He didn't say anything until I turned to walk out.

"You really wanna get one? For what?" I turned around.

"Daddy, all my life I been lied to. Lied to because y'all thought I couldn't take it, or just 'cause y'all didn't feel like explaining it to me. I admit, a lot of this stuff I couldn't take. But, I sucked it up, 'cause growin' up and being aware is better than bein' left in the shade."

"Come on, then." I waved him on as we walked through the living room.

"We'll be back." My mama mugged me and I mugged her back.

"Y'all wanna go? Gone be sittin' in the car for a lil bit." The twins nodded, and I picked Diamond up.

"Where we goin'?" I heard Nadia ask as we rode.

"Clinic lab." Daddy said.

"You got a drug test, Unc?" I laughed at Nasir, he did too.

"Naw, boa. Got some business to take care of." He looked at me as we pulled up. We got to the doors before he stopped me.

"You ready?" I nod.

"Let's go." He sighed, pushing the door open for me.