forty-six

another morning with that bitch of a mrs. ritz. i kind of feel bad for her. she married somebody with the last name of a cracker.

i walked, well, basically dragged myself into her classroom. i'm not looking forward to whatever she has in plan.

"good morning, everyone." she said.

nobody really replied. only one girl, and i'm pretty sure that that's her daughter.

"today, we're going to have our test." she said. she began making her way around the room, passing out chunks of paper to each student including me.

i stared at the paper without opening it, or writing on it. i think she noticed because she cleared her throat, making me look up at her.

"is there a problem gabriela?" she said.

"oh, yeah. i'm not taking this." i said smiling. she laughed a bit. is this lady psycho or what?

"what do you mean?" she asked.

"what do you mean, 'what do you mean?' you're giving me a test that i wasn't here for to learn about." i said.

"life isn't always fair. you should know these topics." she said walking away and sitting at her desk.

"didn't i tell you that my sister fucking died? and, my other sister was on tour? i haven't been to school in the past three months. in those months were when i would've learned these things!" i said.

"do not raise your voice with me young lady. it's nobody's fault that your sister decided to jump off a cliff. or, that your parents kept you out of school because your sister was on tour." she said.

"i was performing on tour with my sister!" i yelled. i stood up. "you're right, it may not be anybody's fault, but suicide isn't anything to not care about. my sister killed herself, and you're saying i should've been in school?" i said.

she stood up. "enough! take the damn test! it's your responsibility to make up the work and find a way to learn it!" she yelled back.

"well, fuck you. my sister was like a mom to me. and, you'll never know about that. i recommend that you shut your fucking mouth and stop saying dumb shit." i yelled. she gasped.

by now, the whole class was paying attention and i was in tears. "to the head master's office! now!" she screamed as she dialed selena's number.

i grabbed my things and ran to the door slamming it shut behind me. just as i began to think this school was worth something.

i ran to selena's office and opened the door shutting it behind me. she was obviously on the phone and gave me a certain look indicating that i was in trouble.

she eventually got off the phone.

"what has gotten into you?" she said standing up. i held my head in my hands.

"it was unfair. it's so unfair. i haven't been to school in, what, two or three months and she's passing out a test to me?" i said. selena came over to me.

"honey, it's not her fault you weren't in school. you need to take that test" she said.

i cried a bit more. "you don't understand. demi went on tour, and i performed also, which excused me from school for a while. but, then in the middle of tour, we found out that my sister had committed suicide, and she jumped off of a cliff." i said crying harder with each word.

selena came over to me and hugged me. "it's okay, babes. i'm sorry, i didn't know, and she's an asshole for doing something like that." selena said.