CHAPTER THIRTEEN

MADDIE

Our Pre-opening dinner felt like Thanksgiving Day, Annie and I were super busy from dawn preparing for the dinner party.

Josh had offered to help even when Annie insisted that he should rest because we hired helpers, he is currently at the shop putting some few things in order while Annie and I have been at home battling with the meals.

We are done with samosas, spring rolls and some other small chops, pasta, pineapple fried rice, burritos, chicken soup amongst the rest.

James is coming to pick us after we are done, we hired a van to come pick up the food.

Through out the day, Annie and I kept on listing different reasons for us to be grateful, it was indeed like Thanksgiving.

*****

"James is here!" Annie shouted.

"I'm almost done!" I replied. I have to look good I thought to my self. Since the kiss, we haven't seen each other but James have been more than sweet. The funniest thing is we didn't talk about it after then but he has been sending me flirtatious text messages, calling me to check on me and some other stuffs.

Annie and I are putting on matching outfits. We both are wearing black jumpsuits but little differences in the design, I carried a red purse matching my red block heels while Annie carried a gold purse matching her gold colored block heels. I curled my hair while Annie straightened hers and to crown it all, our makeup was superb.

I walked slowly out of my room just to make an entrance. Annie was sitting on our sofa with James, one of the helpers we hired had come with the van and they were loading the food inside it. The moment James set his eyes on me, he said;

"Damn you are beautiful."

He looked at me like he was looking at some beautiful super model, Even without someone telling me, I knew that I was blushing.

I haven't talked to Annie about him, I will but that will be after the dinner. Since she came back from Catherine's wedding, we both have been busy putting things in other so I didn't bring up the issue.

The three of us walked together to his car and drove off.

*****

Josh has done more than enough, the lightings and decoration were lit. In the center of the shop, a big round table consisting of about six pie shaped tables, designed with a simple but elegant milk table cloth was arranged, a flower vase was placed at the middle of the table and the table was surrounded with twenty chairs for our twenty guests.

"Hello everyone!" Annie called. The guests were already arriving. She continued; "Today is a very special day for my best friend and myself" she paused smiling. "I suppose we all know the reason we are here, we just want to say: ENJOY" soft music played on the background.

Did I forget to mention the d.j stand??

It was located on the counter.

As we sat down the waiter came and offered everyone appetizers.

I've been trying my best to avoid Eddy the entire night, I've not forgiven him for what he did to me on our date. He betrayed the trust I had for him, he has been looking at me non stop, waiting for me to look at him but I just keep avoiding his part of the table. I sat down close to James and Josh sat close to Annie.

After the appetizers, we decided to play a little.

Well, everyone has a vision, a dream or something they want to achieve, we decided to share among our selves our dreams and driving force.

Amanda was the first to speak.
Amanda is our friend from culinary school, she is a very good cook,  she even graduated with distinction.

"Hi everyone" she said shyly. "I'm Amanda Davies. I'm a chef and what made me love cooking even though I don't love eating as much is because I love my dad and my dad loves to cook." She looked round and smiled. "My mom is a terrible cook so it's either my dad cooked or we live on takeout. I love spending time with him So whenever he is doing something in the kitchen, I always join him, till cooking became a part of me." she paused. "That's it,  I'm done" she said with a bright smile plastered on her face.

The next person was Annie.

"It's strange when you come from a house where everyone is talented or gifted in their own way and they always end up being successful." she said firmly. I admire the authority she puts in her voice whenever she wants to talk especially in the midst of people. "My dad is an engineer, my mom a hair stylist, my elder sister Catherine is a fashion designer and my immediate elder bro owns a gym. They are all successful in their businesses and that is my driving force. I want to be as successful as them and one can find success in something you love doing. I love cooking! And I love food! So I decided to take this turn and applied to culinary school. I'm glad I met this girl" she said turning to me. "She has so much plans and visions. She is one of the people who made me believe that I made the right choice and I love her. That's my story!"

Annie's words pierced me. I remember when she told me that she thinks that she made a mistake applying to culinary school  that without the right connection we won't make it far. I sat her down and made her understand some things. That was the day we started planning our future together, that was the day we created this shop in our minds and today it has turned to reality.

After Annie talked, five other people talked too and after each person, we clapped our hands in unison for encouragement. Then we went to the kitchen and directed the waiters on how to serve the food and drinks.

During the main course, James was just flirting with me continuously, I liked it but I was a little bit shy. People were taking glances at us, I wonder what Annie will be thinking. I hope she doesn't think that I'm hiding things from her because I plan to tell her.

"Excuse me" I said standing up after I finished eating, I wanted to use the ladies room. Unknowingly Annie followed behind. After using the toilet, I went straight to the mirror and realized that my cheeks were red. I decided to add little powder to my face.

"So should I ask or will you tell me?" Annie's said startling me.
"Oh my God! U startled me.!" I said turning to her. I'm sure that my expression was bizarre that very moment. "Tell you what?"

"About you and that James guy! Spill it!"

"Hmm.. " I took a deep breathe and continued applying the powder on my face.

"Don't tell me Hmmm.. I saw everything that happened. The flirting, the blush the continuous smiles at the mirror and even the text he has been sending you. Because I know that it was him."

Was I smiling at the mirror??

"He hasn't asked me out yet!"

"Yet?"

"We kissed." I confessed.

"Oh my God! When??"

"Before you came back from Catherine's wedding." I said giving her my innocent look. I don't want her to bombard me with questions, not here, not now.

"And you didn't think it was good to tell me?"

"Common, don't say such. At first I wanted to but you were away and I want you to be here with me when we talk about such issues. You came back and have been preoccupied with this dinner."

"Well,  we'll talk about this tonight. When we get home." she said firmly.

"Yes mommy." she smiled and walked away. I know she cares for me that's why she is concerned. I applied the powder to my face and left the toilet.

The moment I came out, I saw Eddy waiting at the door.

What did he want??

I decided to ignore and walk away but he grabbed my hand and walked me to the store room. I would have shouted but I didn't want to cause a scene.

*What do you think that Eddy wants to talk to Maddie about?? Leave your thoughts in the comment section*

*remember to:
=>vote
=>comment
=>share this amazing story with your friends.