CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT

"My child" He held my face and used his thumb to clean the tears on my face.

I couldn't look at him in his eyes, I looked at everywhere but his face and before I knew it, he pulled me in for a tight hug. He started to sob. It seemed like he was crying too but I didn't hug him back. I didn't want to give him the impression that everything was okay between us.

"You're so grown and beautiful, even looking more pretty in person." he held my shoulders and took a good look at me.

What did he mean "in person"??

"My love, look at Maddie, she's all grown up and looking different from when we last saw her." he said to his wife who had been looking at us. I started to wonder if he really did miss me or this is just a first day act.

Victoria smiled. "Maddie, would you please assist me in preparing the table for dinner? Damien and his wife would be coming over soon." I just nodded my head.

"My love, such a coincidence right?" he said as he wrapped his hands around Victoria's waist. "Today is family dinner and we're complete, like completely complete. My daughter is here." he said smiling at me. We ain't really complete though, my mom ain't here.

My dad sat at the chair he always sat at the dining room while Victoria and I prepare the table. I haven't really said much since he arrived and Victoria had been trying her best to be civil with me since my dad came back.

"Hello Mabel" Mabel is my dad's secretary. He was speaking to her on the phone. "Cancel all my appointments for tomorrow and next, Maddie is around. I want to spend some quality time with her."

"Does that Mabel woman need to know every single detail that happens in our family" Victoria said as she rolled her eyes. I tried so hard to hold back the scoff and sarcastic comment that was about to roll off my tongue, so I smirked instead. She's feeling insecure, why wouldn't she? When she destroyed someone else's family.

"She had been my secretary even before you became my wife. Mabel and I have come a long way and by the way, I needed to tell her because she'll be the one to cancel my meetings." My dad explained to Victoria.

The door bell rang.

"I'll get it" Victoria said as she rushed towards the door. "Evening dear, Awwwn thanks for the pie" she said as she, Damien and his pregnant wife I guess walked into our dinning room.

*********

We all sat down at the dining table. I sat on my dad's right side and Victoria on his left.

"hmm hmm" my dad cleared his throat. "Susi, I suppose you've heard about my daughter Maddie."

"The estranged one." she said smiling like it was some kind of joke.

Damien almost choked on his food as he gave her a warning glare.

"I won't have you talk that way under my roof." my dad warned.

"Sorry Mr. London." Susi apologized.

"That apology should go to Maddie."

"Hey Maddie, I'm sorry for what I said earlier. I didn't mean it that way. And.. "

"It's fine. Let's eat." I cut her off. I don't blame her, it's probably the way I was referred to around here in my absence.

**********

I was able to make it through dinner in one piece, I should count that as an achievement.

I was about opening my room door when Damien called my name. I turned around;
"what do you want?"