CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

James and I agreed to meet up at the beach today by 7pm, hopefully after having a talk with him and hear what he has been dying to say to me, I'll meet up with Freddie for our date.

I got to the beach by 7:13pm, James was already there. He was sitting on a waiting chair, operating his phone. He was quite focused he didn't even notice my footsteps behind him.

What's with him and his phone that always seems to keep him busy whenever he was alone??

"Evening!" I called trying to get his attention the moment I got to where he was seated.

He quickly put his phone inside his pocket, looked up to me and smiled. "Evening. How was your day?" he said standing up.

"Good. Yours?" I asked trying to be polite.

"It was normal." he said shaking his head. "Nice outfit." he complimented.

"Thanks." I was wearing a spaghetti hand flowered top and a black trousers with a matching sandal. "you are not looking bad yourself." he was wearing Polo and a jacket with shorts and sneakers, this time his hair was neatly combed and arranged.. His eyes were brighter than the previous time I saw him.

"Oh please don't flatter me" he said smiling like a little boy. "But thanks anyways."

We both sat down and this awkward silence fell.

"So...??" I asked.

"Maddie" he cut me off immediately. "I know I've hurt you, and for the fact that you've told me some sensitive things about you, I guess you must be thinking that I'm not a good guy" he was looking straight Into my eyes..

Oh gee.. I can't maintain this eye contact.

So I decided to break the eye contact occasionally. He continued; "It's just that my issue with Stacey is one I've locked up and buried somewhere in my mind, I don't like talking about it because it hurts me a lot."

"And I'm the one who likes to talk about my issue with my dad and boyfriend??" I answered sternly.

"Please..... Just listen to me." he pleaded.

"Okay" I muttered

"she is a ballet dancer. According to her, her mother never wanted her to be a professional dancer, she wanted her to study accounting and she obeyed. When we started dating, I encouraged her to pursue her dreams that even though she was an accountant, she could still dance."

I could see his eyes; so sincere, so true, so passionate.

I felt hurt that he was talking about another girl that way. Seems like he really loved her.

He continued; "You know Mary Sparks right?"

"The famous ballerina that held a concert in this town a few months" I answered.

"Yes...." he said nodding his head.

"I attended that concert. Annie persuaded me to accompany her. It was a free show."

"Yeah, and she called for an audition for people who'll like to showcase their talents. She wanted everyone performing in the concert to come from this town. She was so passionate about it because she started her career from here."

He paused still looking at me and I nodded for him to continue.

"I signed up for her, I really wanted her to do it, I wanted her to prove to her mom that she can be a ballerina and be successful with it. I loved her so much that I was willing to support her in everything. I swear even if her hobby was jumping ropes I would support her in it too."