CHAPTER THIRTY-NINE

Guys I'm so sorry I took this long to update. I've been nothing but lazy, please I need your encouragement and persuasion to write.

MADDIE'S POV

"hey" James called.

I looked at the screen smiling sheepishly. I had missed his face.

"hey Babe. Good morning, how was your night?"

"Twas kinda long. Josiah had brought your phone to my house yesterday, he didn't even notice that you had forgotten it in the car until I had called then he noticed the ringing phone. By then he was far gone from you, knowing you were without a phone and there was no way I could contact you, I got worried. Annie too she called countlessly yesterday so I told her when I get hold of you, I'll let her know."

"Thank goodness my phone is safe with you. So sorry I made you guys worry, I'll contact Annie the moment I end this call."

"So how has it been so far? Any cat fight?" he said trying to hide a smirk.

"things have been going surprisingly fine. To my utmost surprise. I can't Really talk about it all right now. I'll brief you about everything when I get back."

"and when is that?"

"Dunno yet but for the now, I'm going out with my dad. To somewhere he hasn't told me yet. Lemme at least video call Annie before my dad comes calling."

"You haven't been there for up to twenty four hours and you've already resumed your daddy's girl duties. Please come back to resume your girlfriend duties, I'm missing you."

"you're not a child, stop acting like one who was refused breast milk." I brought out my tongue to mock him.

"Go away!" he formed a scowl on his face.

"Like seriously, James! that really got to you? you knew I was joking right?"

"Gotcha!" he burst out laughing. Even for a day, I missed the sound of that. His perfect set of teeth shinning and then reflection of light in his eyes, making it to twinkle just then, right there I realized that I had made a big mistake. I couldn't stay without this dude. I love him a lot!

"in your mind." I brought out my tongue to mock him again. "mommy's boy"

"Yea I know. We rock!"

Just then my dad called from outside my room.

"Yes dad I'm ready." I turned to the computer screen to look at James and said. "Babe, I'll talk to you when I get back. Help me call Annie and let her know I'm fine. I'll call her too when I get back. Love you to the moon dear and ain't coming back. My love for....."

He cuts in and we both said the last part together.

"My love for you is always at its peak." we threw kisses at each other and ended the call.

******

"I still don't get why you'll bring me here" I told my father for the nth time.

We were both standing in front of my mother's grave. I haven't been here in a long while and guilt is overwhelming me.

"I figured out this is the best place for us to talk. In the presence of your mother." he said looking straight into my eyes. Of course, I avoided the eye contact.

"I don't think so, I can't do this." I turned my back to leave.

"when last did you come here?" my dad asked from behind me.

I paused and answered.

"The day after my graduation. I came to tell her about my success and achievement and all that I had said to you and my decisions." that wasn't all, but I couldn't bring my self to say the last part. I told her that I was angry at her for leaving me to fend for my self, for giving herself to the cold hands of death, for letting my father and his wife to maltreat me and making me feel like I had no one. I said hurtful things to her that day, I got even mad when I didn't get a reply. The dead don't talk I know, but I was hoping for a sign or something but I got nothing.