ch.1

Edited by sadiaslayzpizzas

Winter

I'm in a dark forest and I'm running. From what? Well, I don't know, all I know is whatever it is it scares me. I turn my head to see what it is but nothing is there, so I continue running. When I turn my head again I can almost see it but then everything goes black.

I shoot up in bed sweat covering my body. I've been having the same dream ever since I was let out of foster care about 3 months ago and I don't know why. I look over at the clock on my bedside table and see that its 5:30. I don't have to be awake for school for another hour and a half but I know I'm not going back to sleep anytime soon. I never do, ever since my parents died everything got worse. Especially my depression and anxiety. I'm mute and I have been ever since I was fourteen, my parents weren't there to help me and I never had a home for more than a year. Then I was sent to the Foster house because something always went wrong. I still can't get over that night and the years that followed. You'd think it would get easier, I mean, I'm away from him and all the others like him in the foster house. I'm 18 now, I should grow up, right? Well, I can't and don't think I will ever get over what happened to me. The worst part is the only person who knows everything is god knows where. My brother Pete went to a different foster home than me. We would keep in touch as best as we could, but after I told him everything I thought he would be like everyone else and say I just wanted attention. But he didn't and yet I still shut him out, I'm a terrible sister. He was a year older than me but we were in the same grade because he got held back a grade.

Today, I'm starting at a new school at Desert Point high because my old one brought back memories of my old foster families and I couldn't take it. It’s a fresh start full of people who don't know me or what happened to me and my parents. Maybe I can get through my last year of high school without being noticed. I know that's wishful thinking. Nobody can get through anything without being noticed, the teachers will make sure of that by introducing you to the class.

My phone makes a buzzing sound alerting me that I have to get ready for school. So I get out of bed and take a shower before getting dressed in a pair of blue skinny jeans and a black hoodie along with a black tattoo choker with a little rose hanging from it and my mom and dad’s wedding rings hanging off of a necklace, which I wear every day, and leave. You’re probably wondering how I can afford to pay bills or what job I got that doesn't need me to talk to people besides coworkers, and that my friend is the great job known as being a librarian helper. Pretty much I help out the local library and stock books and stuff on the weekend, and during the week I'm a cook at IHOP.

"Hey watch out" I hear a little kid yell and I look up to see a park with a bunch of kids in it. Two kids were playing with a ball and had hit the kid who called out, the others said sorry and went on with their game and that was it. They’re probably only seven, I wish I could go back to being a little kid when life was so much simpler. I realize I probably look weird just standing there watching kids play at the park so I continue walking and make it to school in about ten minutes. It's a twenty-minute walk to school and it seemed like a nice day so I decided to walk.

Walking into the school doors I'm surrounded by teenagers and teachers. I just keep my head down and try to find my locker without getting lost. The bell rings and everyone but me and a few others rush off to class. 206, 207, 208 here it is, locker 208, finally. Now I just need to find the combination, I pull out a paper that has my class schedule and locker combination on it. The school sent it to me the day before I started, thankfully. I quickly put in the combination and open my locker to see a neatly stacked pile of books. Great, I can't wait to carry those around, note the sarcasm, I'll probably drop them a lot being the clumsy person I am. I grab the books I'll need for my first few classes and start my journey of finding my first class without getting lost. Ha, yeah right.