ch.8

Edited by sadiaslayzpizzas

Dean

After I say bye winter I walk over to my mom to hug her but when I get there she has a worried expression on her face. "Are you ok mom?" I ask and she looks up at me because yes I'm taller than my mom. "Do you know when Winter last ate because I don't think she's eaten since she woke up?" she says and I nod before realizing that she didn't eat lunch that day or the day before. "She didn't eat lunch that day or the day before so please make sure she eats something," I say quickly. She nods and kisses my forehead "Have a good day Dean, I love you," she says. "I love you and you too," I say and leave. Off to torture I go, school isn't really that bad for me. I know most people hate it because they get bullied or something like that. I just hate it because I don't like it, everyone is so loud and all the teachers do is yell over them. I don't understand how that's supposed to work but then again I'm not a teacher.

I get to school fast and I go to my locker and pull out the books I'll need for the first three classes. The bell rings before I can catch up to Jake and Max but I'll see them in first class. I walk I was about to walk to class when some random guy I've never seen before pulls me aside. He must be new, most of the people here are in my pack or just know not to mess with me, but this guy seemed to think he could. "Hello, can I help you with something?" I ask annoyed. I don't know why but something about this guy makes me angry. "Hey, I'm Josh Woods how's your girlfriend? Winter, right?" He asks smirking. "What do you know about Winter?" I say through my teeth. Who does he think he is talking about Winter? Maybe I'm just overreacting "Oh, we go way back. You should ask her about me, I'm sure we have different opinions on me I'll see you around Dean," he says and walks away right as the late bell rings.

"Mr. Whitestone why were you late?" the teacher asks with fake authority, he's a part of my pack and we both know he's just pretending. "Sorry Mr. Lopez I was held up in the hallway," I say he nods and I take my seat. Normally I'm a good student well a sorta good student. I pay attention if I'm in class but so far I can't take my mind off of that guy, Josh. How does he know Winter? He seemed so mean and not like the kind of person Winter would associate with. I know I'll have to ask her after school but that's so long from now and it's gonna bug me all day. The bell rings and I grab my bag and leave like everyone else. The classes are slow and I don't pay attention, turns out that 'Josh' kid has third period with me which means he has it with Winter. Something about him screams trouble for Winter and I want to know why. Why do I have this feeling in my gut that he did something to her? When I head to lunch I don't even eat I just stare off into space.

"Hey, man are you alright?" Max asks waving his hand in front of my face pulling me from my thoughts. "Um yeah, I just feel a little sick, I think I'm gonna head home," I say. It wasn't a complete lie, I truly didn't feel good but it wasn't because I was sick. They nod and I get up and leave but when I get to the parking lot I'm pulled aside again by that Josh guy. What's his problem with me and how does he know Winter? "Hey, when you go see Winter tell her I say hi," he says and walks away. I get in my car and drive home as fast as I can without breaking any laws.

"Honey, aren't you supposed to be at school?" my mom says as I enter the house. I let out a sigh and nod "yeah, but I wasn't feeling well so I came home," I tell her and she nods. "I think Winter is awake but she might have gone back to sleep that panic attack really took a toll on her but she should be better tomorrow," my informers me knowing I was going to see Winter. I nod and walk into my room to see her sleeping not so peacefully and guess she's having a nightmare. "Winter wake up it’s just a dream," I quietly whisper yell, shaking her shoulder. She shoots up and I pull her into a hug calming her and myself down. Once she's calmed down I decided to bring up what happened today. "Hey Winter, do you know a Josh Woods?" I ask and fear flushes her face, nothing else, just fear. ‘Um yeah there's something I haven't told you about my p-past ' she uses the mind link and a tear slides down her face. ‘w-when I was 13 I w-was l-living with h-him in a foster h-home. At first, h-he was kind and t-treated me like a sister but then that night happened ' she paused and I can see by her face that whatever happened that night was terrible. "You don't have to tell me," I say because I can see how hard it is for her. ‘No, you deserve to know why I can only talk to you through this mind link, text message, or sign language ' she says. So he's the reason she doesn't talk. ' that night we had gone to a party, he drank a l-little too much and h-he r-raped me, I thought it was just a one-time thing and I shouldn't worry or tell anyone but then he did it again and it became a recurring thing so I told my foster parents. They told me to stop telling lies about their son and said I just want attention ' she takes a breath before continuing. ‘It happened again so I said something and they kicked me out but word got out about the attention-seeking girl who was saying she got raped by her brother. Nobody would adopt me unless they wanted to teach me a lesson, t-they would a-adopt me to l-let their s-sons or th-themselves have fun with m-me. I was treated like a toy since I was 13. I decided not to talk after the first home because if that's where talking got me, I didn't want to anymore, J-josh has been trying to find me since I left the s-system and I guess he f-found me' she stops again to breathe after saying so much and probably to keep her emotions under control. As she continues telling me I get angrier and angrier. How could somebody do that to a 13-year-old? He was a grade older and looked about two years older than her. I can hear her sobs echo around in my head along with her heavy breathing before pulling her into a tight hug. "I won't let him hurt you ever again, I swear I will try my hardest to protect you," I say.

He must have been the reason she had that panic attack on Monday because he showed up. He's the reason she doesn't talk and he's the reason she hardly trusts anyone. I look down and my eyes catch something that I don't think I was meant to see. "Winter, what are those?" I say pointing to her wrist at what looks like week-old cuts that are scabbing. 'They’re cuts, I did them a week ago, the night before I was late to school ' she says hanging her head low not meeting my eyes. "I'm so sorry all this happened to you, I'm so sorry you felt like you needed to do that and I'm sorry I wasn't there," I say and I feel tears of my own fall down my face. She shakes her head at me before sadly saying ' Don't apologize for things you couldn't prevent ' my heart breaks at the sight of her broken face like she's finally letting me see her true emotions, not the mask she lets everyone else see. I pull her into another hug and this time I don't let go. She eventually cries herself to sleep so I lay her down before laying down next to her and falling asleep myself.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

I wake up and see Winter lying next to me with a smile. I'll never get used to waking up to her beautiful face. My smile falls when I think back to the conversation we had earlier. Josh had ruined her life and when he talked to me he seemed almost proud of it. What kind of sick person is proud to say they raped a 13-year-old? On top of that, she had cut again and I didn't even know. I wasn't even there to help her, she says I shouldn't apologize for things I can't prevent but if I was there she probably wouldn't have hurt herself. Wait, did she eat today? I know I asked my mom to make sure she ate but she looked like she was just waking up when I got home, then she cried herself to sleep. I shake her shoulder slightly and I notice how her bones are becoming visible. How long has it been since she last ate? Why hasn't she been eating, her body was perfect? I see her stir and open one of her eyes before yawning. "Sleep well beautiful?" I ask and watch as her cheeks turn red then her whole face before she covers it with her hair and nods. "Did you eat today, you haven't eaten in a while?" I say failing at being subtle on the fact that I noticed she pretty much stopped eating.

‘Um yeah I think I ate everything is just kinda jumbled together ' she says in my mind. Even though the pack and I talk in the mind link a lot, it feels weird to hear her talk to me. Maybe it's because she's mute and it surprising to hear her speak. I don't know. "Ok well, are you hungry?" I ask trying again at getting her to eat. She shakes her head no and I frown but cover it up when she looks at me funnily. "My mom said you'd be able to start school again on Monday since today was Friday," I say and she nods ' that's good I've been so bored here. Oh, and I have something to tell you ' she says and I nod as if to say continue. ‘Well, I have a brother, like a biological brother. He just moved down here and he's going to our school ' she says and by the look in her eyes, I can tell she's excited. "Really what's his name?" I ask. I didn't know she had a brother. ‘Pete ' she says and I smile. "Nice, so does he start next week?" I ask and she nods. I laugh at her cuteness and she teasingly glares at me. ‘What’s so funny ' she says crossing her arms making her look even cuter. "Nothing just that you so cute and adorable," I say and she pouts before lightly hitting me. ‘I’m not cute ' she says and I laugh. "Best lie of the century," she just pouts and pushes me. "Dean! Winter! Come eat dinner before everyone eats it all," I hear my mom shout. "Coming!" I yell standing up but I stop when I see Winter get up and give her a pointed look. She sits back down and I go to get the food. "Thanks, mom it looks good," I say looking at the plate of pork chops, mashed potatoes, and veggies. I made Winter a smaller plate because one, she probably won't be able to eat a lot, and two, if she hasn't eaten in a while her appetite is gonna be small. When I get back to the room I see Winter on her phone smiling. She's probably talking to her brother "Hey Winter, I got the food," I say getting her attention. I hand her the plate and she eats about half of it before saying that she's full. But I mean at least she ate that's a start right?

•°•°•°•°•°

IM BACK!!!!! Sorry I was gone and late on the update I really hope you liked it and again sorry for making those of you who read and like my story wait... But anyways, yeah I'm back. Tell me what you think of the chapter, thanks for reading.

Don't forget to

Comment

&

Vote

Have a good day or night