ch.12

Edited by sadiaslayzpizzas

Winter

'Took you long enough' I sign as Pete finally gets here. I mean who asks someone to meet up somewhere and then shows up late, like 30 minutes late. He's lucky I decided to stay but he's gonna have to buy me food for this. "I'm sorry, the traffic was bad," he says but his ears twitch 'Still haven't gotten over your habit of twitching your ear when you lie, now what really happened?' I sign. I can't believe he hasn't gotten over that, he would do it when were kids before the accident, and then during video chats, pretty much whenever he wasn't telling the truth you'd know. "Guess I can't get past you. I fell asleep watching TV and didn't wake till about 20 minutes ago and all this doesn't happen with magic," he says gesturing to himself. 'Oh please, I've seen toads better looking than you' I sign before fake gagging. So maybe my opinion is biased because he's my brother and I will never a see him as someone who is 'cute' because ew that's my brother. 'Of course, so what did you need to talk about?' I sign and he sighs "well there's something you don't know about our family. Dad was going to tell you but well you know," he says and I do know, he's talking about when they died. A day I will always remember. 'Go on' I sign wondering what I was left out of that's so important that I need to know about it know. "Well you see, we come from a family of werewolves," he says taking a breath. "Winter, you're not just an alphas mate but you're a werewolf. In our family only the girls got the gene so I'm not one but you are and I have a feeling you're gonna shift soon," he says and I swear my head exploded. 'So you telling me mom and dad werewolves and they didn't tell me because they died before they could and you somehow found out and I'm going to shift soon ' I sign slowly because I know it's been a while since he's had to read sign language. "Um well, I've known all along. They wrote me a letter in case they died before your eighteenth birthday to tell you that you're a werewolf. They said something about you being a special wolf so it would take until then for you to shift, and you turned 18 about three months ago so it has to happen soon," he says all in one breath. ‘So I'm a werewolf ' I sign slowly not for him but because I'm having trouble understanding this.

"It's true. Here, read this when you ready," he says handing me a letter with my name on it. "I'm sorry to drop this on you and leave but I've got an interview for a job today. I can't stay here without being able to pay rent, I'll text you later," he says kissing my head and leaving. I hope he does well in his interview. This is so much to take in. I'm some special wolf and I'm going to shift soon. I look down at the letter, it's in a fancy envelope and has my name written in fancy cursive. I put it in my pocket and drive home. I have to get to work soon so I shower again and change into my IHOP uniform and head off. Maybe work will distract me from this new thing I need to think about. I mean it's not like I can say I don't want it to happen because it's not something I can change. When did my life become so unreal? First I have a werewolf mate as a boyfriend (not that I'm complaining Dean is amazing) and now I'm also a werewolf. It's a lot, you've got to agree. I'm just one person there's so much I can take before I start going crazy. I'm just kidding about the crazy part but still, it's a lot to take in. Ah, whatever I'll talk to myself about it later, right now I have to focus on making food for paying customers so I'll get paid and be able to pay my bills.

"Good afternoon Mrs. Michaels, how might you be on this fine day?" Lucas says as I walk into the kitchen. I scrunch up my face at the 'Mrs. Michaels ' part of his sentence before giving him a thumbs up. 'How might you be good Sir? ‘I sign and he smiles "I'm great," he says smiling so wide it makes me smile, sorta. "Hey, how long have you and your boyfriend been dating?" Lucas asks as I flip a pancake. 'About 2, maybe 2 and a half months why? ‘I sign and take the pancake off the pan to add all the toppings. "Wow, really? You guys seemed to have been going out for ages. Did you know him before, like were you childhood friends?" he asks and I shake my head. ‘We just met and then fell in love. It was love at first sight ' I say and he gags. "Ew, don't get all lovey-dovey on me. That stuff makes me sick," he says sticking his tongue out. ‘You just haven't met the right guy yet ' I sign and he sighs. "Oh, really now? And when I do my opinion will change, right?" ‘Yup,' I sign. As cringey and cliché as it sounds, I never really thought love was real till I met Dean. Okay, that was really cliché even for me but it's still true. Maybe that's how everyone is like, maybe nobody believes in love till they experience it. Then again why would there be hopeless romantics that swear love is the key to everything before even knowing what love is? Maybe they're just dreamers that take a lot from movies, but nothing is like the movies or books nobody falls in love and is always happy. Love never solves the problem, it might push it away for a while but it'll come back before you know it, probably bigger than before. But that's just what love is. It makes us blind and puts us in a little bubble of happiness but every bubble pops eventually.