• to laugh •

The girls cheeks tinged pink once she saw Alyssa's face

The girls cheeks tinged pink once she saw Alyssa's face. Alyssa too was pretty sure that her jaw had dropped at the news. For a while, she didn't understand how she should feel. Instead, she felt void of everything other than her breath.

Part of her felt glad for this empty emotion. Perhaps it meant that there were no feelings for him left in her. She chose to ignore the feeling of hurt that soon followed.

Before Alyssa could figure out the right thing to say, Brianna ran out of the toilets merging into the crowd.

"Wait!" She called after her but it was too late. She had gone.

-xXx-

She waited in the car park at 2 o'clock, her navy blue coat wrapped tight around her. She had no idea where the past three months had gone but the last time she had gone shopping, she had spotted advent calendars in the shelves. Her car had been repaired a good week ago yet William had insisted that he still drop and pick her up as it was better for the environment.

She hadn't really minded. She was enjoying to daily trip no matter how bad it was going to be for her. Alyssa had begun leaning into a piece of hope that maybe, just maybe, something clicked between them, but worse if all, she knew it wouldn't. It wasn't long before she discovered that it was easier to ignore everything and just go for it although she guessed that it would hurt in future. After all she didn't have a lot of time anyway.

Soon enough, she heard someone coming fast towards her. Spinning around she came face to face with the man himself. He gave her an apologetic smile as he caught his breath, "Sorry, I'm late. I just had Mr Burton and you know how much he drags..."

"No worries, I know. I had him for the whole of Year 8 and 9," She replied back after laughing.

Under his breath, he muttered, "Damn, that must have been torture." Alyssa laughed before observing him as he opened the door for her.

"Thanks," she murmured over her palpitating heart. Alyssa repeated the two words 'stay calm' again and again in her mind like a calming mantra. It's okay.

William walked around the car before sitting down in the drivers shoot. He turned his head to the left, shooting her that one hundred dollar smile before pulling the door in. Although this doesn't really happen since he hits his head in the top of his car. "Ouch!"

Alyssa failed to hold back a laugh, smiling warmly as he murmured something about the chair being too high.

"But isn't it your car? Who else would have done it?" The words slip out of her mouth before she can filter it. She help her breath, knowing that she's blown her cards. Quickly, she comforted herself. It would be better for it to end anyway.

Instead, he let out a hearty laugh. "Shut up!" He said playfully, before hitting the pedal.

••••

"Yo sushi?" Alyssa questioned looking at the name. He nodded in response.

"Yeah, do you like it?"

Automatically, she found herself wanting to agree with him. He'd think they have something in common. That would be good right?

But she stopped herself. She couldn't change herself for someone who would never be hers.  That would be going too far, she thought to herself however a piece of her knew that she's already crossed that line. She was who she was.

"Well, I've never had sushi before," Alyssa answered truthfully twisting her brown hair around her finger absentmindedly.

She watched amused when he slammed his hand against his heart, "What? You've never had sushi?"

"I thought that was what I said."

"Yeah but, sushi is life! Come on," he said, startled although Alyssa had already zoned out. Because a moment later, his hand was in hers.

 Because a moment later, his hand was in hers