• to pick •

Alyssa chased after him as fast as she could, frustrated at herself

Alyssa chased after him as fast as she could, frustrated at herself. How could she have let herself be so careless? For once, she had let loose and where had that led her?

Disappointed, she tried to increase the size of her steps in an attempt to move faster. She noticed the pair of lanky legs ahead of her, slow down a tad.

"Run Sheffield Run!" William called before erupting in laughter. She glared at him until he shut up.

Alyssa felt as if she had just stepped into the body of the old Alyssa. The one that was confident, always smiling and having fun. The partying Alyssa. Not the hospital Alyssa.

She focused back into the moment and noticed that she was standing in blades of green. She'd been so deep in thought that she hadn't noticed that she's followed him into the school field.

For a good few seconds, she turned in a circle, wondering where he could have possible got to. To be fair, Alyssa hadn't even been paying attention and she'd probably began walking in the wrong direction.

"Yoo-hoo!" She looked down to see William lying down on the grass on his back, his hands tucked behind his head.

I'm surprised, Alyssa let out an oh at having missed him. Her eyes fell upon her lunch box, casually thrown beside him and enshrouded by an area of long weeds. She quickly grabbed it, hiding it behind her back.

As the seconds passes, the silence thickened enclosing Alyssa in awkwardness. It wasn't often that someone started conversations with her, and she was running out of things to say. Tentatively, she sighed before sitting down beside him. Holding her breath, she waited for his reaction.

Nothing.

She let go of the breath.

Feeling as if she should be doing something, she picked at a daisy nearby her, piercing a hole in the stem with her nail. Picking at another daisy, she threaded them together.

"What are you doing?" William asked her, curiously peering at the daisies in her hand.

"Uh, making a daisy chain?" She replied, cursing when it sounded like a question.

Weary eyes, she looked around at the swaying trees. What am I doing? I shouldn't be here. Sitting next to a popular on a field. She laughed wildly out loud at how stupid the idea was.

Soon after, she was immersed in a sea of emerald when she shot her an amused look. Thank god, she was sitting down for she was pretty sure her legs would have been jelly.

She scolded herself, making sure she had opened the door to reality again. He was probably wondering why he was sitting next to a nobody like me. She would never have thought that he was wondering how he'd failed to notice her before.

"A what?"

"A daisy chain."

"What's that?" He asked, his eyebrows furrowing adorably in confusion. She began wondering how on Earth anyones eyelashes can be that long. And there she was with her stubby little one. With mascara.

"I put Vaseline on them every night," he said winking at her as she flushed red, realising she'd said that aloud. "And yours aren't that bad."

Rolling her eyes, she shook her head. What had she been expecting? A shower of compliments? "How can you not know what a daisy chain is?" Alyssa explained, showing him how to make it.

William ran his hand through his hair, messing it up even more. "I bet I can make more that you."

"Bring it on."