• to hurt •

Alyssa lay tucked in bed, listening to Brianna's steady breath from the bed beside her

Alyssa lay tucked in bed, listening to Brianna's steady breath from the bed beside her. The rest of the dinner had been fun with plenty of laughs and fun. Jacob had managed to get Alyssa to sit next to him which suited Will and Brianna perfectly. Alyssa took a deep breath, relaxing herself. Tomorrow, the teachers had told them them that they'd be going to look around Frankfurt and then going to an ice rink there.

She took a moment to forget about everything and just focus on how fun the skating will be. When she was little, she used to go often with her father. Slowly, the tradition faded out and it had reached almost 5 years since she was last on the ice.

She closed her eyes.

-xXx-

"So what do you eat? Leaves?" Jacob asked Brianna. Alyssa tried not to laugh and Brianna loooked at her in defeat. She had spent the last 15 minutes explaining that vegetarians don't just eat leaves.

"No! Of course not we've been through this already," Brianna exclaimed. "I eat loads of food. Potatoes, bread, rice, cereals.."

She trailed off into an endless list.

Alyssa heard footsteps and looked up to find, William walking in step with her. For a second she felt like a deer in the headlights and was confused but she calmed down as he spoke.

"So have you ever been ice skating before?"

She nodded before tilting her head sideways, "Well, I'm alright but probably out of practise. I haven't been for years. What about you?"

He shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly, "I happen to be a pro." Alyssa laughed airily, tapping her fingers against her leg.
"Modest much. When was the last time you went?"

He didn't look her in the eyes, instead finding his feet really interesting. "Oh you know, fairly recently..."

Alyssa stopped walking before snickering, "Don't tell me that you actually went to an ice rink and practised for today?" When he didn't reply, Alyssa laughed against shaking his head. She watched the cute smile that was framed on his face. "Just to show off to all the girls how much of a king the William Harvey is."

He smirked gesturing with his hands, "Got to keep up the reputation. Besides it clearly doesn't seem to work on all the girls anyway."

Alyssa froze not knowing what to say. Was he talking about her? God, she hoped not, she thought to herself nonetheless a tiny bit of her wished he was. She forced herself to accept that he was talking about somebody else. Hopefully, Brianna. Nevertheless that certainly didn't help her with what to say next. Alyssa was flustered when she looked into his entrancing green eyes. For the first time since her plan, Alyssa was speechless. And that was exactly why she said the one thing that she wasn't supposed to say and that was a complete lie.

"I like Jace."

Alyssa choked on her own words. What the actual hell?

She was shocked by what she had said by accident. Alyssa had panicked and said the most randomest lie. "Wha- I mean no. Uh, no, I don't. I was just, um-" She stuttered helplessly trying to think of a way to save herself.

Alyssa went blank.

Her eyes were only trained on how the grin had dropped of Will's face and melted into the snow. When he noticed her looking at him, he smiled.

Fake.

It was a hundred percent fake and Alyssa knew it. She wanted to go back in time and take back those three words that she had said in a flurry. "Aw that's nice. You two would look lovely together. Does he know?"

She tried again.

"No, I don't actually like him. I-" she thought about explaining how she was shocked at what he had said before and therefore panicked but was afraid that she would make it awkward for him. Besides what if he wasn't talking about her. "Uh- I was thinking about-"

He laughed, "No, it's cool. Don't worry, I won't tell him if he doesn't know. It's cool."

The rest of the walk was in silence as Alyssa despised herself for how she buckled under pressure and ultimately-

She thought about how she hurt him.