• to lie •

By the end of the day, Alyssa was drained

By the end of the day, Alyssa was drained. Physically and emotionally, and all she craved was a mug of hot chocolate with cream and to snuggle in bed.

As she walked away from her locker, her felt a hand wrap around her arm. He spun her around, pushing her against the wall. Alyssa's eyes widened as she noticed the furrow in his eyebrows. She wriggled for a second or two.

Alyssa liked to have a plan of how things were going to go. And by far, she had not planned this.

"Why were you avoiding me?" He asked, in confusion before breaking out into a small smile. She was glad for him to pierce the tense atmosphere. "I was starting to think I've done something wrong."

Alyssa wanted to explain everything to him. To explain why she was staying away. Why she was distancing herself from him. But she couldn't put it in words.

So she lied.

"I wasn't running away from you."

His lips curled as she tried not to tremble under his intense gaze. "Darling, I'm pretty sure you were-"

"I wasn't," she confirmed, nodding her head laughing along with him.

"If you say so."

Alyssa turned to leave again but he stopped her, holding up a chain of daisies. Now it was her time to be confused. "Well, uh... I saw yesterday how upset you were when that idiot Jacob broke it, so I thought I'd uh-"

She stopped him, sensing that it was going to get awkward soon. "Aw really? Thank you," she said smiling genuinely. There was a pause.

"Is that all I get?" William asked, doing puppy eyes that Alyssa thought were quite scary. He help us plasters that we're wrapped around his thumbs. Her heart thudded hard. "Come on! A kiss?"

"What? No!"

Blood rushes to her face as he shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly. "I tried. At least I get a hug."

Before she could change her mind, Alyssa wrapped her arms around him in a quick embrace. She couldn't help tensing as he did the same, causing William to laugh.

"Not a fan of hugs?"

Alyssa snorted. "Who isn't?"

When she later walked away, Alyssa had no clue how to feel. She was over the moon at the simple gesture but however hard she tried, the image of Brianna and him sitting at the table laughing was stuck in replay.

If only she had known that earlier that lunch William had caught sight of Brianna crying so gave her the one thing she needed then. Not love. No flirtation. Just company.

 Just company