Chapter 17

A/N: Hi again loves! So I didn't address it in the last update but here it goes: this story is now over 10k reads! Oh my fracking goodness! Thank you all so very much! Yall have no idea how much this means to me and how surprised I get every day at the amount of interest for this story 😘 thank you all again and see yall in a week, for sures this time! 😁

-----

"You are the one, not me."

Thank all the divine beings for food trucks. After taking a good ten minutes to console Kane and some walking around, we discovered a ring of food trucks on the other side of the fountain. It turns out, every Friday and last Saturday of the month, food trucks would take over the district till midnight. Asian, Caribbean, Italian, and a few other themes were present. And Kane let me pick my favorite.

"It's ok, really! I'm happy with my Tachorrito," I grinned before taking another bite. It was soft, crunchy, and filled with cheesy goodness.

Kane sent me a soft smile while he chewed on a Quesoritto. "I'm guessing Mexican is your favorite?"

"Duh!" I exclaimed, nodding rapidly making him laugh. He directed me to a set of steps at the base of the fountain. Setting down his food first, he removed his blazer and placed it on the grey stone. With an overdramatic bow, he gestured for me to sit. Kane scooped up his food as he sat beside me. "So how was your holiday?"

After taking a sip of my water did he answer. "Normal I guess? Kaden and I visited my father's gravesite before heading to my mother's. The house was packed with both sides and we ended up playing karaoke till late."

"That sounds like fun. We had a bunch of charades' competitions and Ash even won a few of them," I grinned.

Kane's face fell slightly. "Ash was with you?"

Oops.

I looked away, "yeah..."

"How is she?" He asked, leaning forward.

Or not oops?

"She's good. Apparently her parents are driving her nuts," I chuckled.

Kane nodded, seemingly lost in thought. "That's great. Really great..."

"Kane? Are you o-"

Then his lips were on mine, slowly at first as if testing the waters. My eyes were wide, staring off in confusion then I shut them fast, my mouth moving with his. His large hand cupped my cheek, pulling me in while my own hovered in an awkward space between us. Kane's tongue lightly brushed my lips and before I could reciprocate, he pulled away.

We didn't make eye contact for a while. I kept brushing my damp palms against the skirt of my dress and Kane chugged on his water. My mind was reeling from the kiss, not because of the action itself but over the after effects. And one thought in particular flared against my brain.

I felt...nothing.

No zing.

No fireworks.

No orchestra.

No sparks. Whatsoever.

Nothing. Nothing at all.

And Ash was true to her words about Kane's impressive mouth. He obviously knew what to do with it. But there was so surge or rush from it. Was it me?

"Wow Kane," I breathed. "Uhm, that was, erm-"

"Bland." Kane answered earning a deep snort from my end. Kane's head snapped up once he realized he spoke. "Oh crap! Not you Lennon! I mean, you were great and everything!"