Chapter 28

A/N: Hello loves, guess who's back?!?! Yes, finally a regular update! Oh dear readers, I apologize for being such a garbage person and I greatly appreciate each and every one of you for being so patient with me. And I want to let ya'll know, your patience will be rewarded. Wanna know how? Of course you do! So...I plan on updating this story early not once but twice! I'll also be posting an up to the restrcited section annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, I'll be posting a whole new story either at the end of this week or the beginning of next week! Woohoo! Exciting, yeah?!? Anyways, onward with the longish/most anticipated chapter 😊

-----

"Party like a rock star and dance like nobody's watching."

The party was in full swing by the time I made my appearance. The couches in the living room had been removed having been replaced with a couple dozen fold-able around the room along with raised in tables. Christmas lights decorated the area, spreading along the high ceilings and on the stairwell. Three stockings hung above the blazing fireplace while glittering snowflakes hovered overhead.

I hid away at the top of the stairs for a moment as I looked down at the open area that bustled with life. Volunteer wait staff from Caya's restaurant fussed about, large circular trays in their hands that held either appetizers or champagne flutes. In the center, my mothers' co-workers and friends danced and mingled around. I frowned, not seeing anybody familiar in the throng of bodies.

"What are you hiding up here for?" A voice behind me asked, making me jump. I clutched my chest while the owner of the voice laughed loudly.

"Cheese and crackers Caya! I really needed a heart attack today," I sighed. "What are you doing up here? Your public is down there," I pointed below at the crowd.

"Well pardon me madam, but your mama asked me to get her tablet so she can show a colleague some new designs," she gestured to the medium sized device in her hand. "Now, why are you up here sweetie? I'm pretty sure some of your friends are down there somewhere."

Peering over the banister, I did in fact catch a familiar shade of orange followed by a dark afro. "You don't say..."

"Quinn and Monique right?" I nodded. "They're very sweet; Quinn is very bubbly and Monique is...like me actually," Caya snickered.

"Yeah, I can see that," I chuckled.

"You really are doing okay sweetie?" She asked seriously. I looked up at her, catching the same look in her eyes that mom had earlier today. I sighed feeling knots form in my stomach.

"I am Caya, truly," I replied honestly, "I haven't felt this content in a while."

"I understand baby, but that doesn't stop either of us from worrying," she stepped forward, "and you mama told me about what happened earlier..." she paused, giving me a look.

"Please don't," I pleaded, not trusting my mind to wander.

Her rose painted lips spread into a thin line as she nodded. "Ok baby, I won't push it-"

"And try not to bring it up either," I said firmly, giving her my own serious look. Caya smirked as she nodded again.

"Yes babygirl, but," she stopped as she pulled me in for a hug. Caya squeezed my middle gently before pulling away. She rubbed my arm lightly, giving me a small smile, "you must promise me you'll let me know if anything changes alright? There's nothing wrong with talking to us."

"I promise you that I'm doing ok. I'm actually, dare I say, happy!" I exclaimed, my hands slapping my sides. "And I'm thankful to be."

"Good. That's very good," Caya grinned.