Chapter 23

A/N: Hello my dear readers and happy new year! I hope you all brought in the new year with a bang and are ready for more fluff! Oh and speaking of fluff, I have a surprise for you guys!

*cue the drumroll*

I created a new story called 'Extra Fluff: Restricted Chapters', woohoo! And what does that mean? Well, yall are gonna get some smutty goodness! But if you want to read it, you have to follow my profile cause those are private reads. Also, since I just created that separate story, the updates will be a bit slower compared to this story but I will do my best to post there as much as possible. And now, back to the story that started it all! Hope you enjoy the update 😉

-----

"Why that? Why not?"

"Your chariot awaits." Johnny grinned, bowing in a comical fashion. I sent him a small smile before moving to sit beside him. The prior worker's comment still stung, but at least I had a good distraction from it.

Once secured (and apologizing a few more times), the operating manager Greg locked the bar in place and moved back to start up the ride. I jigged in my seat while Johnny remained still. My arms were rest lightly against the metal bar while Johnny's hands remained clenched at his sides. Leaning back, I stared at him for a few moments.

Johnny's jaw was locked in place, just as tight as were hands. Beads of sweat trailed down his temples as his breathing came out in rapid huffs. His face was forward, expressionless and his eyes were closed. I frowned at my deductions realizing what was wrong.

Johnny Masters was scared. And now I had to be a distraction.

"Johnny, which ride is your favorite?"

He opened his eyes not before turning towards me. "Huh?"

"You have a favorite ride don't you?" I asked in the most obvious tone.

Johnny smirked. "Bumper Cars."

I snorted, "I never would've guessed that."

We went around once, steadily approaching our second round and Johnny, thankfully, didn't seem to notice.

"When I was ten, before Lily was born, we spent the day at a nearby carnival. At the time, I remember telling my folks that was perfectly acceptable for me to drive." Johnny chuckled, smiling to himself at the memory. "So my folks took me on the bumper cars and told me that if I could avoid hitting other cars, I could drive us home."

"Oh lord," I snickered. "They set you up!"

"That they did," Johnny agreed. "I lost so hard and was pissed. But, when I realized their plan, I pretty much said screw it and hammered them the whole time." He laughed. "It was well worth the loss."

I laughed with him. "I bet."

Despite the light chortles, the grins didn't meet his eyes that were saddened now. I frowned, feeling like I made the situation worse.

"You miss them," I stated earning a nod.

"Everyday."

"But they aren't gone ya know?" I bumped his shoulder making him grin. "I'm pretty sure they're proud of you."

"I'm not so sure about that little duck, but I appreciate it." He winked.

"So...bumper cars are your favorite and the Ferris Wheel is the opposite, correct?" I assumed.

He nodded. "That same day, I got stuck at the top of the wheel for an hour...by myself."

"Oh," I replied quietly, scooting closer to hug him. "Why ride it now then?" I asked, even though I had an idea.